Restoring a mid-1990's Italian Bike...

Later Sachs freewheels used the same type of remover as Shimano ones:

http://www.parktool.com/product/freewheel-remover-fr-1

For a replacement, try Spa Cycles in Harrogate who stock a reasonable range of screw-on freewheels:

http://spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s112p0

For the BB unit, the UN55 in Italian thread with a 113mm spindle should do the job nicely.

Not sure about the crank bolt dustcaps, most modern crank bolts for square spindles seem to be a combined cap and bolt that takes an 8mm allen key.

David

The freewheel should be easy enough to remove if you have access to a vice. Clamp the removal tool in the vice, engage the tool in the freewheel, using your hands on the wheel rim turn anti-clockwise to remove. They can be very tight depending on who's been stomping on the pedals :)

Freewheels are easy to come by in 5, 6 or 7 speed even 8 speed. I keep all of them in close ratio form if I do many other will too.

Sorry I have not got back to yo about the jockey wheels. BBB are probably the best for the price you will pay. NOS is not an option it appears unless 7402 jockey wheels fit which they might I have 4 new sets of these in box.

I think a vice is the best way to remove a freewheel too.

There are some bearings for Chorus headset are still avilable I think. I will have to check tomorrow and get to you.

Hi Guys,

Today I returned to the project and discovered the rear wheel axle is bent or most likely snapped and needs to be replaced. I dropped the wheels to a local guy for a rebuild.

The headset bearings (Campagnolo Chorus) are very rough and the mechanic will try to source them for me, however I would also like to replace the headset rubber o-ring seals and if you know where to get them, I will appreciate if you let me know.

By the way, was the 600 Tri-colour Shimano offered with a free-wheel rather than cassette or does it mean that the wheel (or hub) I have is not from the original set up?

Shimano cranks are 'JIS' fitting and not compatible with square tapered BB axles

47p2":2mq3h4op said:
Shimano cranks are 'JIS' fitting and not compatible with square tapered BB axles
What do you mean? The bike actually came with square BB and Shimano cranks:

attachment.php

The project continues...

Some update on the project...

Got the frame and parts cleaned, put in a new bottom bracket, a newly sourced chainset and started re-assembling the bike.

The rear wheel axle was broken in half, so I give it to a guy to repair and service them and will hopefully collect them back tomorrow.

The headset bearings are very rough and I have to wait again for a new bearing set. Hopefully the headset can be re-used...

Thanks for any suggestions.

9850276224_658d3dddb4_c.jpg

9850321116_285d486770_c.jpg

9982316996_ff0155e5a2_c.jpg

9982251285_fbc86ce29a_c.jpg

9982250385_916a50411e.jpg

Nice frame - I like the Stelvio. I have recently acquired a similar period frame (Pinarello Asolo) for rebuild/restoration. A couple of questions for you;

1. Have you managed to obtain any period Pinarello brochures?
2. Are you planning to repaint the frame?
3. Do you have any information sources regarding Pinarello serial frame numbers?

regards

ynwa041155":34433jfr said:
Nice frame - I like the Stelvio. I have recently acquired a similar period frame (Pinarello Asolo) for rebuild/restoration. A couple of questions for you;

1. Have you managed to obtain any period Pinarello brochures?
Hi,
I do not have any brochures or info about Pinarello bikes from that period. It would be very handy to have though.

2. Are you planning to repaint the frame?
Not sure. Not at the moment. I want to make it fully roadworthy and ride it first. Then see how I like it and decide about the next step.

3. Do you have any information sources regarding Pinarello serial frame numbers?
Nothing like that I am afraid, and I would like to know where I could find the info as well :).

Good Luck with your project.

Hi Guys,

I finally managed to screw all bits onto the frame after getting the wheel axle replaced. Adjusted the brakes, gears, etc.:

10105162243_3e12526551_z.jpg

10105055014_b73613bb05_z.jpg

10105090875_18ff6e4131_z.jpg

Final approval by the house PR Manager before the test ride:

10105135686_ca02413da9_z.jpg

On the road:

10105083995_623ef667c7.jpg

At the next phase - the stem needs to be changed to a different size, handlebar to be wrapped with tape and a new cassette is badly needed (or possibly a complete rear wheel). It is unbelievable in how bad state some parts were (i.e. the cassette).

Back