Very early Zaskar frame no. 88

I will bump this thread as I am the new owner of this very frame. :) I have given it a 10 minute manual polish with Autosol and the frame is now quite shiny again:

medium_Foto_1.jpg

medium_Foto_3.jpg

Marcus was right about the remarkable condition - after 23 years! No cracks, no dings - even the decals are in pretty good state! :D

I have gathered the following parts for a build up:

- complete XT 730/735 gruppo with thumbies, 733 brake levers, 732 black front Canti, 733 XT II U-Brake, XT headset 730 beartrap pedals, SG C-Series black chainrings and black XT hubs
- black Araya RM-17 rims
- Syncros first generation stem with noodle (1990-91)
- Syncros second generation seatpost (91-92)
- GT handle bar black (or Syncros with shim if I find one)
- Panaracer Smoke/Dart Skinwall re-issue
- Ringle holey seatcollar
- Ringle Camtwist holey skewers
- Flite Titanium saddle (unless I find a GT saddle with the rivets)
- original GT grips from a 1992 Karakoram

As a fork I have a freshly powdered 3D fork. Unfortunately, being 1992, this fork will not be time-correct. Up until now, I have found no 2x4 fork, though.

Currently, I have the option to swap this frame against a 19inch 1992 model year which needs new decals. I don't know, if I should do it and am therefore greatful for your opionions:

Pros:
- 19inch fits me better than 18inch. 18inch is okay, though.
- my 3D fork will be time-correct

Cons:
- the 18inch 1990 frame has a special history: it is from the first production month of the serial Zaskar. This makes the frame special to me
- The decals of my current 1990 Zaskar are orginal; I will need reproduction decals on the 92 frame
- My first generation Syncros stem with noodle will not be time-correct anymore. However, I would really like to use this stem
medium_Vorbau-SyncrosCattleprod11-8x130mmmitNoodle-03.JPG

Undecided:- I won't ride the Zaskar much anyway as I have other lovely GTs to ride: Xizang and Psyclone

What shall I do? Keep the 1990/91 Zaskar which is a tiny bit too small (and hope finding a 2x4 fork)? Or swap to the 1992 Zaskar with perfect size and making the lovely 3D-fork time-correct?

Hi Rabhari

very nice, I've got a old one 09900236 :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

from what I've found out, it looks like our frames were manufactured in the 1990, however the zaskar didn't retail until 1991, so early frames indeed.

regarding questions on groupsets, the 1991 builds would all have been custom, built by shops and individuals as it was originally sold as a frame set including 2x4 forks and flip flop, clamp and dia-compe hanger..

ooops my reference for the above was page 5 of the 1991 catalogue and just noticed that it says all frames can be ordered with either full XT or Suntour XC-Pro

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... A.pdf.html

either way cool old frames from the begins of a legend

for some reason I swapped out the mish mash of XT for DX (wtf)... need to get some M735 together

Rahbari":2wyx93bp said:
I will bump this thread as I am the new owner of this very frame. :) I have given it a 10 minute manual polish with Autosol and the frame is now quite shiny again:

medium_Foto_1.jpg

medium_Foto_3.jpg

Marcus was right about the remarkable condition - after 23 years! No cracks, no dings - even the decals are in pretty good state! :D

I have gathered the following parts for a build up:

- complete XT 730/735 gruppo with thumbies, 733 brake levers, 732 black front Canti, 733 XT II U-Brake, XT headset 730 beartrap pedals, SG C-Series black chainrings and black XT hubs
- black Araya RM-17 rims
- Syncros first generation stem with noodle (1990-91)
- Syncros second generation seatpost (91-92)
- GT handle bar black (or Syncros with shim if I find one)
- Panaracer Smoke/Dart Skinwall re-issue
- Ringle holey seatcollar
- Ringle Camtwist holey skewers
- Flite Titanium saddle (unless I find a GT saddle with the rivets)
- original GT grips from a 1992 Karakoram

As a fork I have a freshly powdered 3D fork. Unfortunately, being 1992, this fork will not be time-correct. Up until now, I have found no 2x4 fork, though.

Currently, I have the option to swap this frame against a 19inch 1992 model year which needs new decals. I don't know, if I should do it and am therefore greatful for your opionions:

Pros:
- 19inch fits me better than 18inch. 18inch is okay, though.
- my 3D fork will be time-correct

Cons:
- the 18inch 1990 frame has a special history: it is from the first production month of the serial Zaskar. This makes the frame special to me
- The decals of my current 1990 Zaskar are orginal; I will need reproduction decals on the 92 frame
- My first generation Syncros stem with noodle will not be time-correct anymore. However, I would really like to use this stem
medium_Vorbau-SyncrosCattleprod11-8x130mmmitNoodle-03.JPG

Undecided:- I won't ride the Zaskar much anyway as I have other lovely GTs to ride: Xizang and Psyclone

What shall I do? Keep the 1990/91 Zaskar which is a tiny bit too small (and hope finding a 2x4 fork)? Or swap to the 1992 Zaskar with perfect size and making the lovely 3D-fork time-correct?

WOW amazing, really looking forward to a good build on it if you do.

I still have the Kona AA M900 and Team avalanche frame but sadly I have gong to the Dark Side :twisted:

I am now a roadie!!!!

I have a gt flip flop stem,and a riveted saddle.
I don't think the syncros parts were used at this time it was all gt branded parts I think?

Any opinions if I should do the swap? I am leaning towards hanging on to No. 88 because it is from the first production month.

@mtbdave: please drop me a PM if you decide to let your riveted saddle go. :)

Thank you for you opinion. As you own a 19 and 20inch Zaskar and obviously have experience with the different sizes: do you think, there is a lot of difference if I change to 19 inch (from 18inch)? The 19inch has a steering tube which is 3mm longer and a top tube which is 5mm longer (compared to the 18inch). I won't notice the longer seattube as my seatpost will be lower in the 19inch.

yep. my 19 was slightly too small for me, and the 20s are much better. they only have about 5mm more top tube, but the big difference is the 20 has a really long head tube, which for me is great. i don't have my 19 handy to measure, i gave it to my dad. but yes, the 19 is definately a overall bigger bike than the 18 and sounds like it will fit you better. if you are planning on riding it a lot...then getting the right frame size is more important than keeping the smaller one. i ride my 92 a lot, and its really nice to have the right frame size

Maybe you misunderstood me. I think, it is the headtube height/size that makes the difference in comfort. The 20inch is a lot longer than the 19inch. However, the 19inch is only 3mm longer than the 18inch. So maybe the change doesn't make much sense. I won't be riding the frame a lot as I have so many other - and more exclusive - bikes.

The problem with my 18inch frames is that the handlebar is just too low down. But I hate the looks of riser bars or steep stems.

Back