good steel MTB complete / frameset for utility duties

badams

Dirt Disciple
I need to change my child-carrying bike (a Dawes Galaxy built up with porteur bars, etc) as it just isn't working out for me. It's a good bike but something is off with the geometry and it's getting painful, so I am looking to sell it and instead get a 26" wheel frame or complete bike. Ideally I guess I'm looking for an old steel Marin or similar, as they seem like good frames. It'd be good to have a reasonably traditional frame - so not too much of a sloping top tube.

I don't need anything super-light, more something robust and well-built for carrying kids, groceries etc. But it'd be good to make it look good - like a 26" wheel utility / Thorn-like ride.

So... does anyone have anything suitable? I can't afford something super-expensive but equally don't want a beater.

thanks!

ah yes, good point. Sorry about that. Well, I am a bit lost when it comes to MTB sizing. I'm 5'9, so on a road bike with a straight top tube I'd ride a 54/54 (21.5") or a 55/55 (22"). With a straight MTB frame would this be a bit smaller... a 19"?

Great, thanks. Is it a complete bike? What kind of condition is it in? And Do you have pics?

Sorry not to have replied, pebble - I completely passed over your post by accident. Thanks for the offer but I've now found a Bear Valley which will do me just fine, so I no longer need a bike. I do need some bits, so will post a separate wanted thread for them.

(and glad to hear the Marin-as-child-carrier has been tried and tested!)

thanks!

Back