96 Gt Tequesta

another 96 tequesta

Hello all-
Just had to brag about my Tequesta... bought it brand new in 1996 and have ridden it to hell and back.... LOVE THIS BIKE. Still gets compliments everywhere I go with it.
Doesn't see as much time on the trails these days, as I've been using it mostly as a commuter bike recently. Just had it freshened up with new drivetrain and swapped out the micro-drive 42T chainring in favor of a 44T. Wanted a 48T but was told it wasn't happening with my original STX cranks. Still using stx shifters and derailer but upgraded to XT hubs on sun cr18 rims for my street slicks.... I managed to hit 42mph (67km/h) on a nice long downhill just the other day. (I think the flames help me go faster lol)
I used to want a pair of those yellow Judys but have been riding rigid for so long now I can't imagine switching...
From years of abuse, hard riding and fatigue, I actually broke my frame last year at the bottom corner of the rear triangle- right at the cassette, but was able to get it mended by a local guy....even though I still had all my original reciepts and warranty card, GT wouldn't honor frame warranties from pre-bankruptcy era bikes.
I swear the yellow on the front end isn't quite as vibrant as it used to be after the bike spent a season outdoors while I was in jail...but I was so happy to get the bike back I didn't care. I lost all my other bikes during my incarceration, (and my original stx mavic rims w/wtb velocoraptor tires that I kept for trail riding) but this bike was the one I missed the most, so was very relieved to hear that my father had managed to save it... although it had always been garaged when not being ridden before that.
Anyways.... chris- nice bike and thank you retrobikes for the forum

Hopefully these pics I've got will upload.......and you'll have to forgive its muddy condition, its been raining like mad here the last few days

Attachments

• bikepic1.jpg
    bikepic1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 849
  • bikepic2.jpg
    bikepic2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 849
Welcome dude that is a beauty! Wish I never got rid if mine they ride fantastic!

Tc

Finally after 4 years messing with it I think I finally have this set up perfectly for me, the stem has been changed again to a 100mm Kore and new Manitou Sx Ti forks have been fitted.

It rode perfectly on yesterdays North Yorkshire Moors ride :)

SDC10019_zpsf35f184b.jpg

SDC10020_zps2b6df73c.jpg

SDC10045_zpsa79b2b8b.jpg

SDC10046_zps1d055ba4.jpg

Great stuff, though I think you need some yellow forks !

All hail the Flame GTs. I now have a blue & yellow Backwoods, 2x black & blue Timberlines and just got a red & black Tequesta. Tempted to go for the complete set, so just a Talera, Aggressor and a Tequesta like yours to go !

I've just picked up a 96 Karakoram in blue with flames too, completely standard but needed a back wheel unfortunately so that's not correct now.

Attachments

• 96 Karakoram.jpg
    96 Karakoram.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 782
BobCatMax":298qwpdu said:
lovely!

only the red one to get now ;) (and you can't have mine :p)

:LOL:

Yeah always liked the red one but no more room now, I might have to actually sell something soon :shock:

Back