Retro bicycle brands that didn't survive

DrewSavage

Retro Guru
Please forgive my ignorance as a relative newcomer to the world of retro bikes - I've always had old bikes but only got interested in frames and components in the last couple of months.

I''m developing the theory that certain brands of components and frames carry a bit of a premium in the secondhand market (especially on eBay) because the company that made them is still around and producing decent quality gear today like, say, Campagnolo, Mavic or Cinelli.

Whereas I'm guessing that there may be other marques whose products may have been of similar quality, back in the day, that either went bust or got bought out. A couple of the bikes I've bought have Weinmann brakes, and I've seen names mentioned like Huret, SunTour, Pelissier, Mafac and Dia Compe yet I've only a limited idea where they sit in the scheme of things.

Is there anything that's worth looking out for? Presumably anything properly high-end will always command decent prices, so I guess anything mid-range or above would suffice...

Suntour (Superbe), Ofmega, OMAS, Modolo, Sakae Ringyo, Gian Roberts, Milremo (Ron Kit), Kyokuto (pedals), EDCO...............there is quite a list :D

Shaun

As long as there is demand, and rarity, some of the bits by defunct companies command a big price. NOS Fiamme anyone, how about a pair of Maxicar hubs? The Weinmann and Mafac brakes are cheap because so many were produced. Although Mafac Top 63s will set you back hundreds.

And just being huge with a loyal following is no guarantee of survival. In the 1970s Schwinn was the biggest bicycle company in the US. In 2001, boom, gone swallowed up by Pacific Cycles.

lewisfoto":2lyf8sd5 said:
And just being huge with a loyal following is no guarantee of survival. In the 1970s Schwinn was the biggest bicycle company in the US. In 2001, boom, gone swallowed up by Pacific Cycles.

Let's get the facts straight...the third gen...Edwin R Schwinn Jr. took the company to Japan then stayed there too long and failed to recognize that mountain bikes were here to stay...that took the company into bankruptcy...then Sam Zell ran it in the dirt and sold out to Pacific. Pacific buying it was just Chris Hornung taking advantage of buying what once was one of the top 10 recognized brand names in America. Schwinn was gone long before 2001 when Pacific purchased them out of bankruptcy court.

lewisfoto":31ykusmd said:
As long as there is demand, and rarity, some of the bits by defunct companies command a big price. NOS Fiamme anyone, how about a pair of Maxicar hubs? The Weinmann and Mafac brakes are cheap because so many were produced. Although Mafac Top 63s will set you back hundreds.

Thanks - I guess anything *really* good that's not being produced any more will have skyrocketed in value due to limited supply. I suppose what I'm looking for is something that a little bit under-rated that's both above average and comparatively plentiful. If such things exist?

Shaun's list above is very useful. Does anyone have anything more to add to it?

I suppose I've kind of got an idea about wondering if it's possible to build up a good groupset of components of discontinued / defunct makes and brands, for less money than if I simply forked out for a Shimano or Campagnolo groupset.

Good quality on a budget? you can't go wrong with Shimano. The parts are very plentiful and 600/ultegra or 105 will last forever.

I think the difference with Campagnolo is that they've consistently managed to attract the 'brand snobs', people who will always only buy one particular brand becuase they assume it's the best.

Some more nice gears:

Zeus (Spanish, not cheap), Galli (Italian Campag imitations),
Gipiemme (sort of on the same level as Ofmega, 'poor man's campagnolo), Sachs (before they got swallowed up by SRAM).

Suntour VX is a solid, affordable rear mech that seems better than what Campagnolo or Shimano were offering at the time.

Other stuff: Super Champion (rims), Titan (legendary steel Belgian stems, bars and seatposts, killed off by Aluminium),
Ideale saddles (the French Brooks, but better than Brooks), Lyotard pedals...

DrewSavage the reason some pieces claim a higher price has to do with many things. Quality, heritage, collectability, rarity, current trends, etc etc.

Saba, Ron Kitching & even the famous Harrogate Cycle Festival - no longer around

Back