Free School Meals

"Are there no workhouses? Workhouses! Built them workhouses! But not with my tax money!" - Technodup, 1887

technodup":bhg8ntxi said:
Because this applies to people two years on the dole. The first 18 months of which they might not have applied for any jobs at all. There is no proper record, other than a wee bit of paper.

And what does this have to do with what originally started this conversation snippet, videojetman's claim that "people can choose to claim benefits or choose to look for work."?

You know, what with it no longer being true, because to get benefits you have to either prove you're looking for, or actually be in work.

Nobody owes you a living.

Never said anyone did owe me a living, strange you think I am.

What I am saying, is that you blaming someone for failure when they're doing the best they can is bloody horrendous.

Apply for more, make better applications, get more training, start a business, I don't care which. But stop moaning about how hard it is, it isn't getting anyone anywhere.

I'm not just moaning about how hard it is, I'm pointing out that it is hard. You and your ilk are convinced it's easy living, a choice. When it's pointed out it isn't, you just fall back on "you're not trying hard enough, or you're not good enough". As if that solves anything.

Ending the workfare program, ending all austerity measures and closing tax loopholes, now there's real solutions.

Imagine that! Ending workfare would mean tesco would actually have to hire workers, instead of getting free ones from the job centre.

Imagine, if you will, a world where companies actually pay their taxes. You know how they say we "can't afford" X Y and Z, so we have to cut them? We could afford if someone held starbucks accountable.

So there's two birds with one stone. Both a way of increasing available jobs, and making "dole scroungers" even less of an issue.

Hell, I imagine bumping dole money up would be a big boost to the economy. Think of all the extra money they'd spend on cigs and big tellies! They'd be opening up extra bargain boozes and Currys across the land.

I don't know if you're on the dole or not and I couldn't care less. But you seem an expert on the system so you'll be fine either way.

I already have said I'm on the dole, good to see your reading is as good as your economic policy.

I'll treat that with the contempt is deserves. Suffice it to say you seem to have all of the problems and none of the answers.

John Maynard Keynes has the answers. It's funny to see that the economy has done exactly what his economic theories predict under austerity, thus validating him even more than the post war boom years did.

highlandsflyer":37f4uxa2 said:
They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

Perhaps send in extermination squads to cull the less productive occupants.

Will you be happy then Techno and Video?
If you include sterilisation/enforced contraception for junkies and alkies you might be on to something. But I'd rather they were away from the cities tbh. The Highlands are vast and empty and full of electric fences. You can see where I'm going.

highlandsflyer":r8kevv24 said:
They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

In a word, speaking for my self, no.
Would it make you happy H.F. ?

technodup":m04nw572 said:
highlandsflyer":m04nw572 said:

If you include sterilisation/enforced contraception for junkies and alkies you might be on to something. But I'd rather they were away from the cities tbh. The Highlands are vast and empty and full of electric fences. You can see where I'm going.

yeah and it is the same old boring shite, you just change the order of the words to make it seem like you have more than one idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest proposals involve community service (local councils, charities etc), as opposed to working at Tescos or wherever 'for free'. Obviously there's the awful possibility that someone will see you sweeping up litter and assume you're a petty criminal...

Bats":2ertb3wz said:
What I am saying, is that you blaming someone for failure when they're doing the best they can is bloody horrendous.
I suppose it's always easier to blame someone else.

You and your ilk are convinced it's easy living, a choice. When it's pointed out it isn't, you just fall back on "you're not trying hard enough, or you're not good enough". As if that solves anything.
My ilk? Me who was in the same position a few years ago?

Ending the workfare program, ending all austerity measures and closing tax loopholes, now there's real solutions.
Austerity measures? We're spending and borrowing more now than we ever have. Whatever you want to call what we've got, austerity it isn't.

Imagine that! Ending workfare would mean tesco would actually have to hire workers, instead of getting free ones from the job centre.
I'm not sure Tesco getting the unemployable into uniforms is as good a deal as it sounds. Maybe to the high command but I bet the floor managers are less keen.

Imagine, if you will, a world where companies actually pay their taxes. You know how they say we "can't afford" X Y and Z, so we have to cut them? We could afford if someone held starbucks accountable.
Someone does. HMRC.

I already have said I'm on the dole, good to see your reading is as good as your economic policy.
Forgive me for skipping some. You seem to have a lot of time to spare talking shite on the internet. Is TotalJobs down?

John Maynard Keynes has the answers. It's funny to see that the economy has done exactly what his economic theories predict under austerity, thus validating him even more than the post war boom years did.
We haven't had austerity.

Koupe":3i67rvfd said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest proposals involve community service (local councils, charities etc), as opposed to working at Tescos or wherever 'for free'. Obviously there's the awful possibility that someone will see you sweeping up litter and assume you're a petty criminal...

There's been no mention of them stopping placements at for-profit companies. Indeed the only times companies have stopped workfare involvement is when they've perceived severe public relations damage.

Still besides the point. If a workfare placement can be found, that means there's work to be done. If there's work to be done, pay someone to do it. Don't rely on a Parliament full of aristocrats to force people to do it for you.

technodup":hla2kwmt said:

It's incredibly easy when it's right.

Austerity measures? We're spending and borrowing more now than we ever have. Whatever you want to call what we've got, austerity it isn't.

All the cuts to social welfare and public services are austerity measures. They were announced and praised as such. Rising national debt is a consequence of them in charge being useless.

Someone does. HMRC.

Getting £5m out of them is not holding them accountable. That's a slap on the wrist, a mere show for the papers.

You, personally, haven't. Spend much time at the local library?

Bats":8377ymdj said:
technodup":8377ymdj said:
It's incredibly easy when it's right.
Aye, personal responsibility is over-rated.
All the cuts to social welfare and public services are austerity measures. They were announced and praised as such.
They were announced as such, but spending is increasing. It's a smokescreen.
Someone does. HMRC.
Getting £5m out of them is not holding them accountable. That's a slap on the wrist, a mere show for the papers.
They pay what they're due to pay. It's not the role of companies to pay more, or HMRC to force them. Government sets the rates.
You, personally, haven't. Spend much time at the local library?
No, not many do these days. it's why it was an easy cut to make. Still a crap example of those hard hitting cuts though.

I'll end this here. One because it's pointless and two because I have work in the morning.

Back