Free School Meals

Bats":1subkr8m said:
videojetman":1subkr8m said:
i don't think my brother has applied for 14 jobs in the last 10 years.
he lives without working, has all the luxuries of a relatively well paid person.
he laughs at people who work for a living.
on the positive side though, he has no teeth and looks about 80. :D

Go on then, share the secret. I'd like to know how I can go from £56/wk to a life of luxury. After all, it's apparently there for the taking.

Literally ;)

widowmaker":hrim82mk said:
Plenty of jobs I hear, where are they ??????????????????????????????????????????
in runcorn, widnes & north west england.
a portugeuse person i know seems to be getting work, he's lived here a few months.
in the last 3 months he's been getting work.
if foreign people can get work so can english.

Bats":25cb9neo said:
Learn what the universal jobmatch system actually is. Having an account there is a mandatory part of claiming JSA.
It is now. Prior to the last 6 months you could write anything in the diary and nobody would ever check.

Not that, you know, they're proved to not meet your undefined standard.
It's not my undefined standard, it's the standard set by employers. And after 1456 applications and no jobs that person does not meet the standard.

There are more People applying for jobs than there are job vacancies
It's called competition. Get used to it.

Oh and just a wee aside for all the moaners who think they're entitled to work, if there are no jobs why not create one yourself? Even on JSA you could buy a bucket and sponge to wash cars.

technodup":2qgah88p said:
Bats":2qgah88p said:
Learn what the universal jobmatch system actually is. Having an account there is a mandatory part of claiming JSA.
It is now. Prior to the last 6 months you could write anything in the diary and nobody would ever check.

Are you doctor who? Why are you going on about what could be done in the past?

How does people being able to do [whatever] six months ago mean they're somehow [whatever] today, when it's impossible?

It's not my undefined standard, it's the standard set by employers. And after 1456 applications and no jobs that person does not meet the standard.

Ten equally qualified and experienced brain surgeons go for a job. Nine of them leave empty handed.

What standard have they failed to meet?

It's called competition. Get used to it.

Oh and just a wee aside for all the moaners who think they're entitled to work, if there are no jobs why not create one yourself? Even on JSA you could buy a bucket and sponge to wash cars.

Right, lemme see if I've got it right.

On the dole?

Probably not looking for a job. Oh, you're applying for loads? Mustn't be good enough. Oh, turns out you're good enough, but simple maths means someone else equally good enough gets the job? "get used to it.

Yeah, that's brilliant. Willing to work, trying to get work, being told not having work is somehow my fault.

After all, three million people handwashing cars (a saturated market already) is clearly a viable solution.

Go boil your head.

videojetman":rolvidjc said:
widowmaker":rolvidjc said:
Plenty of jobs I hear, where are they ??????????????????????????????????????????
a portugeuse person i know seems to be getting work, he's lived here a few months.

Foreign people are largely recruited abroad by agencies.

The business model is to hire people who can't find work in their home country, bring them over, and have them do minimum wage here. But the catch is they have to live in accommodation owned by the agency, so most of their wages goes on renting a bedroom.

Wincanton and other warehousing companies are infamous for this. You see, it's incredibly profitable for these agencies, because the workers give most of their wages back in rent.

Incredibly successful at both exploiting EU workers and undermining the local labour pool.

Bats":1afeuzzr said:
videojetman":1afeuzzr said:
widowmaker":1afeuzzr said:

Foreign people are largely recruited abroad by agencies.

The business model is to hire people who can't find work in their home country, bring them over, and have them do minimum wage here. But the catch is they have to live in accommodation owned by the agency, so most of their wages goes on renting a bedroom.

Wincanton and other warehousing companies are infamous for this. You see, it's incredibly profitable for these agencies, because the workers give most of their wages back in rent.

Incredibly successful at both exploiting EU workers and undermining the local labour pool.
so maybe this is why there are no jobs then ?
although my portugeuse friend has a house now with his wife & 3 kids.

videojetman":cs66r4oo said:
so maybe this is why there are no jobs then ?
although my portugeuse friend has a house now with his wife & 3 kids.

It's a combination of these agencies and workfare, shrinking the job pool.

Workfare is the worst of the two, by far though. If you get put on a workfare placement, the company it's with doesn't pay a penny. So they get a free worker, meaning they don't have to hire one.

As you can imagine, places like tesco don't bother to hire much anymore, unless it's admin/management. They'd rather have taxpayers foot the bill for getting work done instead.

I should mention though! Your portuguese friend, as an EU citizen likely qualifies for Child benefit and help with his council tax. So he'll be working, as well as being on benefits. Just like my mum, my dad, my sister, and me.

Fun times in toryland!

Bats":10hqfuxj said:
Are you doctor who? Why are you going on about what could be done in the past?
Because this applies to people two years on the dole. The first 18 months of which they might not have applied for any jobs at all. There is no proper record, other than a wee bit of paper.

technodup":10hqfuxj said:
Right, lemme see if I've got it right.

On the dole?

Probably not looking for a job. Oh, you're applying for loads? Mustn't be good enough. Oh, turns out you're good enough, but simple maths means someone else equally good enough gets the job? "get used to it.

Yeah, that's brilliant. Willing to work, trying to get work, being told not having work is somehow my fault.
Nobody owes you a living.

Apply for more, make better applications, get more training, start a business, I don't care which. But stop moaning about how hard it is, it isn't getting anyone anywhere.

I don't know if you're on the dole or not and I couldn't care less. But you seem an expert on the system so you'll be fine either way.

Bats":10hqfuxj said:
After all, three million people handwashing cars (a saturated market already) is clearly a viable solution.
I'll treat that with the contempt is deserves. Suffice it to say you seem to have all of the problems and none of the answers.

And just to be clear I was made redundant four years ago after eight years with my employer. I've been there, done the JSA, seen and heard the losers and chancers in the JobCentre so it's not that I don't understand the predicament people are in. But if they choose not to do something positive then **** them.

They should scrap all social housing as well, and set up shanty towns on the edge of every city so the scum have somewhere to live and die.

Perhaps send in extermination squads to cull the less productive occupants.

Will you be happy then Techno and Video?

Back