Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some kind)

Re: Does anyone know what I've bought? (a Cinelli of some ki

Managed to take some photos - like everything else, I'm trying to learn this as I go along so if I haven't got the right angle then do say!

From what people say, I think we can assume it's not a Cinelli, but it has a Cinelli bottom bracket, and the frame was most likely made by someone else - but if anyone has any idea who, that would be amazing. Are the lugs any clue?

Attachments

• image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    34.2 KB · Views: 331
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 331
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 331
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 331
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22.7 KB · Views: 331

The theory that it's an interesting 'bitsa' bike seems to be borne out by the components.
The brakes are Weinmann (type 500, by the look of it) which I guess could be better?
Front wheel has a sticker on the rim saying Mavic MA2, back wheel has no identiying characteristics with the tyre on but looks similar, and the hubs are Pellissier - are those any good? One of the quick release levers says 'P3003' so I guess that might be the model number.
Seatpost, gear levers, cranks and chainrings are Campagnolo - if anyone knows exactly what model I'd be grateful.
The saddle is a San Marco Concor Light, and there are no obvious identifying marks on the stem - is a more close-up photo any help?

Attachments

• image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 327
  • image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    16 KB · Views: 327
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 327
  • image (9).jpeg
    image (9).jpeg
    31.9 KB · Views: 327
  • image (10).jpeg
    image (10).jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 327
  • image (11).jpeg
    image (11).jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 327
  • image (12).jpeg
    image (12).jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 327

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 321
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 321
  • image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    18.4 KB · Views: 321
  • image (4).jpeg
    image (4).jpeg
    20.4 KB · Views: 321
  • image (5).jpeg
    image (5).jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 321
  • image (6).jpeg
    image (6).jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 321

Somewhere on the pedals it says 'UNION' - that's a fairly basic brand, no?
And then the money shot - the code on the bottom bracket, the bit that definitely is Cinelli. It's hard to tell, as the top part of the letters and numbers has been rubbed off, but it seems to me OB?? 220230 04. I'll go and try and look this up now.

Attachments

• image (7).jpeg
    image (7).jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 310
  • image (8).jpeg
    image (8).jpeg
    21.9 KB · Views: 310
  • image (1).jpeg
    image (1).jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 310
  • image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 310

Apologies for the bump. Does anyone who knows about frames recognise the construction from the style of lugs and so on? I'd love to know what the bike really is - whether it's just the bottom bracket that's Cinelli or the whole frame might be.

The cranks say 'Campagnolo GS' on them - does that mean 'Gran Sport'? And if so, how does that compare to Nuovo Record?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm new to this and learning all the time.

DrewSavage":20j1u4nw said:
Apologies for the bump. Does anyone who knows about frames recognise the construction from the style of lugs and so on? I'd love to know what the bike really is - whether it's just the bottom bracket that's Cinelli or the whole frame might be.

The cranks say 'Campagnolo GS' on them - does that mean 'Gran Sport'? And if so, how does that compare to Nuovo Record?

Sorry for asking so many questions, I'm new to this and learning all the time.

Can't help you out with the frame, but he GS on the cranks refers to Gran Sport, as you said. Gran sport was the entry level, higher end where Nuovo Record (NR) and Super Record (SR). Don't know if there's much difference in the cranks though!

Thank you! Short of being able to successfully deduce the frame builder, which is a bit of a big ask, if anyone could manage to identify what kind of Shimano the front mech is, or has an opinion on Pellissier P3003 hubs, that would be great.

I'm assuming that nothing short of Cinelli handlebars will suffice to replace what's on there now, and I was wondering about something appropriate to replace the Weinmann brakes with? That's where it'd help to know if it's likely to be an Italian-made frame or not...

DrewSavage":37x9yav4 said:
Thank you! Short of being able to successfully deduce the frame builder, which is a bit of a big ask, if anyone could manage to identify what kind of Shimano the front mech is, or has an opinion on Pellissier P3003 hubs, that would be great.

I'm assuming that nothing short of Cinelli handlebars will suffice to replace what's on there now, and I was wondering about something appropriate to replace the Weinmann brakes with? That's where it'd help to know if it's likely to be an Italian-made frame or not...

Front derailleur looks like a Shimano 105 golden Arrow to me: http://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.a ... a&Enum=113

Tel":3q1newi6 said:
Stem looks like a Cinelli XA.

Pelisser hubs are okay, I think they topped out at reasonable rather than high end although I could be wrong on that....

Look forward to seeing better pics

Did you see this post I made earlier?

Stem still looks like an XA to me has it not got a Cinelli badge on the front? Bars have been chopped and flipped so where you would normally expect to find the identification would now have been flipped
Round to the underneath.

The flutes on the chainset identify it as GS (as well as the GS stamped on it of course), however it appears that the left arm is a Record as the flute looks different.

Front mech is 105 golden arrow.

Gear levers are Camapagnolo Triomphe, perhaps Victory.

Union pedals are fine but really not on this bike. They're much more modern than everything else.

Lugs are generic, there are no distinguishing featured on that frame that is ever likely to help you identify it.

Best way to determine whether it maybe Italian is bythe bottom bracket thread, which will probably be stamped on the cup.

Brilliant, thanks Tel, I'll have a look at the other side of the stem tomorrow.

I can't remember where I read about them, but might these pedals look like more of a suitable vintage?
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... edal-10211

Or would secondhand ones be more 'in keeping'?

You don't happen to have any more Cinelli handlebars lying around at present, btw?

Back