Which Forks (modern content)

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I'm in the market for a new 100mm travel suspension fork. Apart from an early Quadra 10 :roll: I've always had a coil fork. However I weigh in at circa 220lbs ( height honestly :oops: :LOL: ) so have always had to change the spring to a heavier one.

On the cards so far is a RS Reba Race circa £249.99 or a super pimpy TF tuned PUshed RS Revalation 60 - 110mm travel but at £340 :shock:

What do you run? Any recommendations........avoids etc?

Cheers folks,

Mark

I have a pair of last years Marzocchi Marathon SL's on my 'proper' bike, they are 100 or 120mm, but are quite a long fork for 120mm (if you know what I mean?) I like them, they are very stiff, and locking them out, or reducing the travel for road/uphills is done easily on the top of the fork leg. most if all though, they are pretty light, and I havent really had to do anything to them to keep them working well.

cheers TB

forgot to add the shorter the A to C height the better.

Have been running for the last two years a 100mm fork (473 :? A to C height ) on my Caldera (originally 63mm)

I prefer the feel but wouldn't want to go over 473mm

(made sense in my head!)

Rock Shox Tora on my Avalanche are the business. Fully adjustable U Turn ride height and lock out facility.

Lovely :cool:

Attachments

• Avalanche in Bardney Woods.JPG
    Avalanche in Bardney Woods.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 1,694
My Revs are great although I have the Dual Air version which can only be run at 115 or 130mm via internal spacers so a bit tall for you. Light, stiff, plush and all the little knobs and dials are nice quality ano metal rather than brittle plastic. Soooo adjustable too. I can also vouch for TF tuned - my Fox Float has had the PUSH treatment and the platform is great.

Pickle":1wkiqh9f said:
Rock Shox Tora on my Avalanche are the business. Fully adjustable U Turn ride height and lock out facility.

Lovely :cool:

My GF has a Tora 318 (100mm) on her bike - I like it but it is quite heavy :?

letmetalktomark":2xk34e7t said:
super pimpy TF tuned PUshed RS Revalation 60 - 110mm travel but at £340 :shock:

I've been looking to get this done to a set of Pike forks.

Revelations and Pikes are "apparently" an excellent fork out of the box, although it does have a few issues when pushed to the bigger stuff. There is no high speed damping circuit and just a simple low/middle, this means the fork can be set up to be nice and supple on most stuff but gets confused on big stuff. The problems with this is when you do large drops the fork blows through it's travel and bottoms out, and then rebounds back and tops out before the damping system can get a grip. For ninety percent of what I do with my Pike the fork handles fine... in fact excellently - but when I drop the 3-4ft drops I get evil clunk-clunk buckaroo... which makes me very wary of pushing the fork onto the 6-8ft drops I do on my Shermans (other bike). Anyway... the PUSH sytem gets round this by installing a high speed compression and rebound circuit thus removing the issue (Shermans have this).

Question... will you ever require the PUSH system and are you hence paying for something you will never use?
I take it the revelations are secondhand? Probably with a different spring rate and tuned for another rider so would need to be retuned... think another £80 at least.

When getting forks and shocks tuned it's only worth it if your having particular issues you want sorted. For most people the stock settings are fine and if it's not annoying you it probably doesn't need fixed.

I don't do air forks/shocks - although above a certain weight TFtuned suggest air as springs are simply not available to suit. Give them a call to discuss... in my experience very few shops know more than nothing about suspension.

messiah":31e6tx5c said:
letmetalktomark":31e6tx5c said:
super pimpy TF tuned PUshed RS Revalation 60 - 110mm travel but at £340 :shock:

I take it the revelations are secondhand? Probably with a different spring rate and tuned for another rider so would need to be retuned... think another £80 at least.

No. TF Tuned create what is essentially a custom fork from new adding the pushed system and also cutting down the travel by 25mm at each end of the spectrum - I guess then that makes them 60mm to 105mm

Its the appeal of being able to really wind down the fork that I like.

but then a Reba may be fine at a constant 100mm. :?

Well there you go then... if your already speaking to TFTuned that anything I can add is probably pish.

An older Fox Talas 32 has travell adjust 90-130. You could put it just where you want it.....(there is a joke in there someplace). Mine is going strong after three years.

Back