Harry Rowland Wheels: Mavic X618 CERAMIC/DT Hugi 240s/Dt Rev

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
ALL BLACK. Black hubs, spokes and rims.

Loads of pics here: http://s20.beta.photobucket.com/user/br ... view=media

For sale are my Sunday best wheels, expertly Built by the best wheelbuilder in the South of England, Mr Harry Rowland.

All parts were brand new at build and have to date only covered approx 200 dry road and light XC miles so everything is in excellent order and very good condition. They have of course been used so there are some light marks but I have taken pics of any marks so you can see how minor they are. Even all the original rim stickers are excellent with no peeling.

DT Swiss Hugi 240 hubs in black. Lighter than Chris King with a stronger ratchet drive than Kings too. Some say the DT is a better hub than the King, and having owned both I'd say DT are at least as good. No special tools are needed to rebuild the DT's either, and parts are cheaper and easier to get which makes them a better everyday hub than Kings - you just literally pull off the cassette/reehub as one with your fingers to clean/regrease the drive mechanism. Takes 5 mins start to finish... whereas Kings are a right royal faff involving expensive special tools!

DT Swiss stainless steel sealed cartridge bearings throughout, should last forever with careful use.

Mavic X618 Ceramic rims, black. Ceramic coated for best braking (as good as discs wet or dry in my experience) and a braking surface that lasts nearly forever!

The X618s are like a stronger version of the X517, a more durable XC rim or one for slightly heavier riders. They are only about 20g heavier than an X517 but significantly stronger and can hold a higher spoke tension for a stronger wheel, as well as never needing any truing! After a long chat with Harry, these were recommended as the best rim for me as the best combination of strength, durability, minimum maintenence and very low weight.

32 hole, built tight 3-cross front and rear for best combination of strength, longevity and comfort

DT Swiss Revolution spokes for more weight savings (these accelerate and brake SOOOOO well!)

DT Swiss brass nipples for reliability and longevity

Actual digi scale weights are a fantastic 748g front (with fabric rim tape) and 874g rear (no tape) which considering they are 32-spoke, 3-cross, bombproof, reliable and have never needed truing is a pretty amazing weight.

Everything is tight, true and super smooth. No play anywhere in the hubs as to be expected with such minimal mileage. Alloy cassette body so the usual signs of a cassette being fitted but as you can see from the pics this is only very slight marking due to the light use. Cassette bodies are still current and readily available in Shimano/SRAM and Campag. As are bearings in steel, stainless and ceramic, but the original DT stainless steel ones should last pretty much forever if well looked after.

Obviously cost a fortune due to the cost of the hubset and ceramic rims, as well as the quality of the Revolution spokes and Rowland's build, (at current prices you are looking at around £600-£700 worth!).

£295 ovno.

Also, I know most people will already have their preferred bling purple/blue/red/etc skewers, but I also have the rare-ish original DT Swiss skewers in black. These were an extra when new, the hubset didn't include them as standard (cheeky Swiss!). These have been used on a few of my bikes over the years so aren't in as good condition as the wheels but they are still pretty good, if you want them with the wheels they are £18 extra.

UK mainland postage will be £12, can send worldwide at cost.

Re: Harry Rowland Wheels: Mavic X618 CERAMIC/DT Hugi 240s/Dt

Haha, yes I sold my X517 set last year, virtually the same as these apart from these are the stronger X618 rims... same builder, spokes and hubs and same condition.

What can I say, I had a DT 240 obsession... still do really as I have them on my road bike too, and the disc versions on my Voodoo! Best hubs I've ever used I think. The Ratchet drive is just so strong, simple and needs minimum maintenence/faff.

Not overly keen on selling these but something has come up that I could use the money for.

How are you anyway? :) I remember your painful story of missing out on the Moots softail that you wanted my other wheelset for! :(

Will consider offers/swaps/part-ex

Interested in 1" steerer forks/stems, high end roadie stuff, saddles, Speedplay X2 or Zero pedals etc etc

Hello OldFatTi

Are you still sellling them?
thanks

Hello
Can you email me?I would like to negotiate price,collection or delivery.thanks

I've emailed you via your email tab, drop me an email back when you get it. Thanks :)

Back