1973 Flandria

Miguello":v0t9fv80 said:
Color me impressed, and a little jealous. Looks amazing, and I am glad you found a powdercoater that knows the deal. Nice crisp lug edges! Most of the ones around here seem to forget you actually have to bolt things TO the frame, instead of just hanging it on the wall. So thick you can't make out the lug edges, and you have to block sand the bottom bracket facing to get them flat enough for use. Can't wait for the finished pics!

Yeah, I was also pretty pleased with the result. I explicitly asked to apply a thin layer of powder, and that I preferred nice an crisp lugs above ultra durability of the paint :)

Found some time to work on the bike and made some pictures. Things that are still on the to do list:

- adjusting + finetuning the gears
- cutting the cables to the correct lengths
- finding caps for the dropout adjusters
- fit the tubulars
- find a Ishiwata 022 tubing decal
- make decent pictures

QZGxMe9.jpg

qj5YsxT.jpg

JmzFX55.jpg

JmzFX55.jpg

At1JM5h.jpg

2gKp511.jpg

ptwWU8Z.jpg

Both bikes together acting as some great house decoration:

Note that the smaller on has a pre CPSC group with straight brake QR's, no lip on the FD,... The big one has a post CPSC group with domed brake QR's, lip on the FD, curved skewers,...

bZFrN0y.jpg

Also: the BB axle is way too long. There's too much clearance between the DS chainstay and the chainwheels. This makes that the front derailleur has to be in his most extreme position to keep the chain on the outer chainwheel. It worked, but doesn't look nice. So I'll have to find a shorter axle, I think!

6f5bDTY.jpg

Damn NICE! The only thing that could send it over the top, is some red or white Benotto bar tape. Outstanding job! My 79 Trek 510 is made from .022, very nice springy/lively tubing. I bet it rides like a cloud? Oh and .022 decals? Ask and ye shall receive! Hopefully they didn't change the decal design? This is the same set that my Trek had. The fork stickers peeled off, and the frame sticker is faded pretty badly. I am thinking repaint, since I can buy paint pretty cheap right now, working at an auto parts shop.

http://www.velocals.com/servlet/the-13/ ... %26/Detail

My 79 510. LOVE this bike!!

I have changed to an alloy stem, and brown Bontrager wrap since then.

CountryTrek.jpg

Miguello":2v07fzb0 said:
Damn NICE! The only thing that could send it over the top, is some red or white Benotto bar tape. Outstanding job! My 79 Trek 510 is made from .022, very nice springy/lively tubing. I bet it rides like a cloud? Oh and .022 decals? Ask and ye shall receive! Hopefully they didn't change the decal design? This is the same set that my Trek had. The fork stickers peeled off, and the frame sticker is faded pretty badly. I am thinking repaint, since I can buy paint pretty cheap right now, working at an auto parts shop.

Thanks for the link! But this design is different. I'm trying to find the same decal as on the big frame. You can see it (unclear) on the second last picture of my last post, with both bikes. If I don't find one, the one from velocals might be my second choice :).

Haven't ridden this frame yet, but the other one rides like a cloud, as you said it :)

Hmm, think I could use some Retrobike-knowledge at the moment :).

As I said, the bottom bracket axle is too long. There's more or less 10 mm clearance between the inner chainwheel and the driveside chainstay. This makes that the front derailleur has to be in his most extreme position to keep the chain on the outer chainwheel. And, more important, the chainline is completely off. I want to bring the clearance back to an acceptable +/- 3mm.

The axle that's installed now, is +/- 126mm long. Am I correct if I say that I need an axle of 112 mm? (126 - 2x 7mm). Are these BB axles interchangeable, or do I need a complete new bottom bracket?

A standard 68-SS-120 for an English BB shell and a Record chainset would have been 112mm long (113 for Italian). The 68 is the bottom bracket shell size (70 for italian) SS is road and 120 refers to a rear OLN spacing of 120 mm...

gavr":38hu7smz said:
A standard 68-SS-120 for an English BB shell and a Record chainset would have been 112mm long (113 for Italian). The 68 is the bottom bracket shell size (70 for italian) SS is road and 120 refers to a rear OLN spacing of 120 mm...

Thanks! Any idea if I could just buy an axle of the correct length and fit it in the existing bottom bracket? Are these axle interchangeable, or is it better to buy a complete bottom bracket set?

The campag cups were given 3.5 mm to protrude from the BB shell, then 17mm and 20 mm on either side to get the total (i.e. 68 + 2 x 3.5 + 17 + 20 = 112). You might want to measure it up if yours isn't a campag

Back