Bike Smuggling - Overburys Pioneer 3 Hour Build.

Plenty of 7 speed hubs were 135mm. Just want to clear up that piece of misinformation.

cce":3uomsya8 said:
Plenty of 7 speed hubs were 135mm. Just want to clear up that piece of misinformation.

Before jumping, have another read before spouting "Misinformation".

I ASKED if they were using a Specific hub, I didn't mention "PLENTY 7 SPD HUBS".

I was hoping to save them from torturing a beautiful frame dependant on the answer to the Question I posed.

And FWIW 130 is the correct axle length for this frame, and the 7spd STX rc parallax hub is 130, not 135.

So to be Fair "WHAT WAS YOUR POINT ANYWAY".

The History Man":3lyw8b1a said:
Axles on current and previous parallax wheels same length. Tight but fine. As long as two people pull while I drop the wheel in. ;)

If the indexing is a bit out I just pull the cable away from the tube like a bow string.

Didn't get that from Sheldon now did I?

I was going to say pm me your address and ill chuck the shifters in the post as they are surplus.

But if you are happy with Sheldons answer for cable tension, then I shall leave you to your tinkering.

C'est la vie.

cce":1lfiweaq said:

Definitely - what a bizarre thing to say. 135 has been around many years, predating STX by a long way so why assume that 7spd hubs are 130?

And those 6spd Deore shifters work just as well in a 7spd system, you wouldnt notice any difference. 8spd is nice to have though and easy to obtain.

And it was you who kindly supplied them. Doing sterling service. And I much prefer Clive.

Mrs THM is confiscating my ipad as I need to sleep. Later.

legrandefromage":ma2x59in said:
cce":ma2x59in said:

Definitely - what a bizarre thing to say. 135 has been around many years, predating STX by a long way so why assume that 7spd hubs are 130?

And those 6spd Deore shifters work just as well in a 7spd system, you wouldnt notice any difference. 8spd is nice to have though and easy to obtain.

Mark, im confused. What are you saying here ref hubs...?

Lots of people read these threads and believe every word that is written. The majority of MTB 7spd hubs would have been 135mm by the 1990's. Just keeping it factual.

legrandefromage":1kvr60n2 said:
Lots of people read these threads and believe every word that is written. The majority of MTB 7spd hubs would have been 135mm by the 1990's. Just keeping it factual.

Being "Factual", he isn't running any other hub than STX Rc. so why would I be talking about anything else.....?
(after re-reading, NO other hub BUT the STX Rc parallax has been mentioned... :roll: )

Continuing on with the FACTS.

The mid 90s STX RC parallax hubs have a 130mm width for the 7 SPD hub, Which is correct for this frame/build.

And the STX RC parallax hub which is 8spd runs a 135mm axle which is incorrect for this frame/build.

GIVEN you jumped on the band wagon ref Misinformation,

I thought it was fiting and PROPER to mention the correct axle length for this frame.

(Especially given the PM I received from the new owner of an Overburys which was sold here, and the trouble he was having trying to get the rear wheel in and out of his frame on his own, which was incorrectly using a 135 axle length.............And YES you are quite right, as im confident the hub in question in this instance was an "older" DX hub with the incorrect axle length for this bike being 135.)

sinnerman":2j7ojrtb said:
The mid 90s STX RC parallax hubs have a 130mm width for the 7 SPD hub, Which is correct for this frame/build.

You could get them with a 130mm axle or a 135mm axle. Most of them will have been 135, because by the time they were produced, MTB frame production had gone over to 135mm almost without exception.

cce":1m0d2c0s said:
sinnerman":1m0d2c0s said:

You could get them with a 130mm axle or a 135mm axle. Most of them will have been 135, because by the time they were produced, MTB frame production had gone over to 135mm almost without exception.

:facepalm: YOU could YES. but Im sure I have "CONTINUALLY" talked about STX rc Parallax HUBS. :facepalm: And nothing else. (7 or 8spd)

http://wheelsmfg.com/shimano-rear-hub-a ... cone-chart

Back