Self storage? Anyone use these facilities?

Find a good excuse to go to a boat show, it's amazing what can be fitted in to a small space when you don't have any more to spare. Most styles of dwelling have loads of wasted space, stairwells are brilliant for storage.

My girlfriends mum and dad got a lock up after her grandma died. Good short term solution but the cost really mounts up after a while.

Are there any garages for sale or to rent near you? If you do opt to use a shipping container, you can buy dehumidifiers for them, they need replacing every few months but are worth considering - remember stuff getting shipped around the world has to live in these things for months at sea in all sorts of weather conditions.

Have a storage unit which is one of the aforementioned shipping containers. It is insulated on the roof and in the middle of a block. Doesn't get too bad in the winter or summer, some stuff has been in there a couple of years, certainly fine for bike stuff, camping equipment etc.

As others have said probably better long term to try and get shot of the stuff or find somewhere else to store it. Took the unit on when in the process of moving house and kind of kept it on. Fair bit of the stuff in there is work related which does make it easier to justify.

I think he ones I've seen locally are purpose built warehouse type set ups. A growing industry, probably unsurprising for us to hear that. The shipping containers I'd forgot about. That set ups been around a while. A friend loosely runs a business from his! With business in mind it does make justifying easier.

Ross, I did have an affordable garage, I'm losing it soon though, plus its a bit damp, plus the dopey daughter of landlord left it unlocked and ultimately wide open for a week so after loosing 8 alloy wheels I've gone off garages, though if I found another cheap I'd sling a car in. Dehumidifier is a top idea, TBH if I got a container cheap it'd be ace! The purpose built places near me basically offer a small broom cupboard for £26 pm. That would mount up long term, yeah.

Boat show, and caravans, clever stuff. That's another plan!
Shed? You cold call it that! :-D

Back