Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1, now Racing Sidekick :S

MK1 build or MK2 build?

• Mk1

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Mk2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1 and NOS Mk2 beginnin

Ah thank you, nice of you to say. It's just a good way of unwinding finding bits and solutions to create a unique bike.
Yeah collect a few bits and get summat going for next spring! :cool:

40:18 is a bit too much. I had the bits in the box. Last SS I took was 38:16 and that was no good either more road gearing. So new C Ring or Sprocket.
(Ps just edited my last post)
Cheers

Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1 and NOS Mk2 beginnin

I couldn't help myself... Lashed out on a new Sprocket!
Made in EngAland Renthal no less! at under 100 grams its more than half the weight of the Gusset tribal (30% lighter edition)!!!
its a thing of beauty, great deal from Evans if you want one.

36T and 18T feels much better already.
according to my maths its the same as what I have on my 24" Rhythm.

The biggest problem remaining is that screwed up grub screw on the fork axles. just cant tension it to take out hub play now.
Dunno whether to relegate it through winter and come back to it later...

It's starting to come together though :cool:

I might just have to decide which Trailstar frame is getting sold...

Re: Twin Trailstars project(s) 1997 Mk1 complete phase 1 NOS

Loving both especially the Blue one already mocked up. Prefer untidy bikes sometimes, the nos one looks too clean!

If you've borked the allen bolt head you can sometimes use a torx tool on it, just experiment with sizes until you find one that fits well enough.

That's a great idea Stevet1, I had thought of that, but now you've mentioned it I'll put some effort into the idea and try it or even reshape it...
cheers

Thanks stu, have you seen the built up pic?
Seriously thinking hard about cashing in the NOS tax now with the red one. it's tucked away at mo so maybe not just yet...

My phone was being stupid so didn't see the built photos. Looks amazing. I'd be tempted to sell the other one whilst it's nos!

Thanks. That's what I'm thinking its actually worth money as NOS, I was only looking for a decent TS but when NOS came up I jumped on it. Can't imagine it'll do anything better than my Bfe will so it might be a duplicate to go! It's pretty though! :LOL: :facepalm:

That MkI looks fantastic but I reckon you should hang on to the MkII as well - how about a rigid singlespeed and geared hardtail? I'd love a Trailstar build but I know from recent experience that a 16" frame is just too big :cry: . I've owned a couple of Sidekicks and a Rhythm in the past and now about to build up my second Transition as a fully rigid singlespeed.

Bombproof little bikes. Can't beat a bit of DMR :p

Hey mamadirt. Thank you. Yeah I was just thinking of lightening the load fleet wise. I think the biggest surprise was my Rhythm which I think is my fave so I'm going to rebuild it better in the near future, stay tuned for that one. It's only little specially on me but I find it addictive fun. It's in readers rides in its current look. I've effectively got a Switchback too I'm looking forward to trying out so unsure how it will all pan out! :-D
I don't do any real stunts so with long legs Size isn't an issue. You'll have to post up your transition build. Dunno why I love DMR and Kinesis so much, just a good honest innovative British brand I suppose.

Back