The drive home from work this morning

TGR

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
evening all,

This morning at 0630 i left work to drive home. As i drove on a straight road i noticed 3 cars approaching me from the opposite direction travelling at a slow speed. Concerned as to why they were going so slow, i slowed down. As i got closer to them i saw a cyclist on the road in front of them.

He was dressed in black - all over and his helmet seemed to be predominantly black with white flashes - even the bike was a dark colour. But you have to give the car drivers credit for being careful about overtaking the cyclist. As i drove past i noticed he had a rear red light but no front light. It was dark (proper dark not dusk etc) and it was wet and drizzly at the time.

I drove on and about 1/2 mile later i got stuck behind two articulated lorries. I was not enjoying the drive! I had an opportunity to safely overtake the first lorry and was about to when i thought - What if there is another cyclist without any front light and dressed in black coming the other way? I did not overtake.

This got me thinking about the madness of the guy on the bike - how did he see where he was going? He gave motorists no chance on A roads and he is lucky (providing me made it to his destination).

Bit of a shocker - imagine safely overtaking a vehicle and having a head-on collision with a cyclist who you did not see and had no chance to see.

Richard

I often us this phrase, but it never ceases to amaze me what some cyclists do :twisted: :evil:

We are at such risk anyway, I always wear bright clothes, jersey, bright flashing lights even when it just cloudy.

Some of the club riders I used to go out with had a couple of basic 5 led rear lights between them and no front lights :roll:

I do not go out in the dark - or often during the day either but i was really surprised at this guy - i should mention that the roads are not good and he would have no chance of seeing any holes nevermind other traffic.

Richard

Maybe he thought he was Superman :roll:

I ride at night only if I really have to and then I am like a Christmas Tree end EVEN then some people don't appear to see me :roll:

He was LUCKYMAN and various other names which i will not be typing.

Richard

He is an idiot. Bet there again there are idiots in all walks of life...like people who run cars with bald tyres. Sadly bicycle ownership does not stop people being brainless.

Lights now are so bright, inexpensive, light weight and run for hours so there is no excuse for not using one.

Although I must admit to being caught out with no light earlier this week when my ride went longer than expected. I hate it when the days get so short in fall.

Steven

lewisfoto":1sxl4enu said:
Lights now are so bright, inexpensive, light weight and run for hours so there is no excuse for not using one.

Although I must admit to being caught out with no light earlier this week when my ride went longer than expected. I hate it when the days get so short in fall.

Steven

I keep a couple of those knog type front and rear lights just in case this happens to me :cool:

Back