Anyone work (or worked ) as a cycle instructor.

Midlife":2bxuv4sr said:
Gibbleking......

Don't want to get you started on Bikeability...... but did it replace the "cycling proficiency" that my eldest kids ?

The richer kids did cycling proficiency when I was a kid in the 70's, they even got an enamelled badge they could stick on their bikes. I never took it but tempted to look on ebay for a badge :)

Shaun

its free here by norfolk county council.

engages diplomatic shield ..

we were supposed to work alongside them ,we had a set school list they could engage with in the area so as not to cross paths ect.what actually happened was that certain members/member ignored that and went and bribed these schools with promises they couldnt fill.so as a result i lost a tonne of schools to this members/member and his little fibs .they were informed that we had stopped doing cycle prof( a huge sodding lie) and that he could help them out.my boss did sod all to rectify the situation,no apologies were made and my timetable went down the crapper because of this members. actions.that person then went on and caused such hostility in the schools that when i tried to set up stuff all i got was a cold shoulder... my wages went down as a result by over 50 percent in under a month.if i ever meet him again im going to be less than polite about the matter.he /she no longer works for them so i guess karma on that.even after that the damage had been done and i could not get anywhere to engage.they were supposed to be a benefit but all they did in the end was completely mess up my life....so i am not a fan of bikebility even slightly.i had some good schools set up and they ruined it.

now the badges.

for years we tried to get our "leaders" to buy the badges ,we had a large budget so cost was never an issue,but every time they said no because of health and safety.apparantly the pins might hurt them so it was deemed a risk and rejected,never mind the fact that we put these kids on main roads every week, without it being an issue,where 1000s are killed every year without worrying about it.instead we had to give them a crappy cheaply printed blue sheet instead.i believe i may have given one away on here at one point.i should also add that our "leaders " also had no problem with paying out 1000s on equiptment which didnt work and was hardly used and spends most of the time in the store room next to tonnes of other useless rubbish that came out of taxpayers pockets.so instead i would give out little boxes of lights and hi viz slap bands .
i recall,some time ago,one lad who tried for 2 years to get his parents to sort his bike so he could do the lesson.he was in tears because daddy spent all the money on ndrink that he had nothing to use.i asked if we could source a bike cheap second hand that he could use.i got told no because there was no money .remember the store room full of crap?so i went on ebay and got a nice bmx locally for 50 quid and carried it with me so i could use in lessons.he put all his effort into that course and when he passed it was brilliant.being unable to give him what he deserved i accidently dropped my own badge on the table when i left so he could have it.seeing a grown lad cry in front of his mates because he was so proud was the best part of that job ,hands down.as for the badges they are a few quid on ebay .

legrandefromage":2chvga8c said:
dont forget you will need a full enhanced CRB check for working with children and vulnerable adults.

yup.plus special training for it as well.i had the joy of a 5 hour session in norwich about it.much more helpful than it seemed at the time.

i have one suggestion above all other .AT NO TIME EVER SHOULD YOU PLACE YOURSELF WHERE YOU ARE BY YOURSELF WITH A PUPIL AT ANY TIME...EVER.i cannot emplore how dangerous this can be for you.never do it.always make sure there are other adults or helpers present.there will be times when you are alone with all of the kids but this is unavoidable sometimes.train yourself who to speak in front of the kids using child speak.such as "oh that was silly " instead of "what a frikkin mess ect"keep doing this and it becomes second nature.i recall an incident where my boss swore at a car driver who wast paying attention and nearly ran a kid over at a junction.he had to make a big grovelling apology afterwards.treat head masters like they are the kommandants they are and use the secrataries with respect because they are the true powers in schools.
ps excuse my typing as i have one arm in a sling due to a muscle op.

gibbleking":1a1eem3a said:
train yourself who to speak in front of the kids using child speak.such as "oh that was silly " instead of "what a frikkin mess ect"keep doing this and it becomes second nature.

No, don't do this. Kids don't like being patronised. I spent a lot of time in primary school asking "Miss, how come you talk to us like we're thick?"

we were instructed in person by the guv that we were to be fluffy and squeaky clean,personally got a bollocking for saying pratting on one occasion.lots of hassle.

Bats":2jld863i said:
gibbleking":2jld863i said:
train yourself who to speak in front of the kids using child speak.such as "oh that was silly " instead of "what a frikkin mess ect"keep doing this and it becomes second nature.

No, don't do this. Kids don't like being patronised. I spent a lot of time in primary school asking "Miss, how come you talk to us like we're thick?"

How long has "not swearing" been the same as "patronising"?

Back