Self storage? Anyone use these facilities?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Reaching breaking point and micro crisis in several old skool storage solutions I took a look at these growing businesses... They might be able to help, maybe even liberate home areas and restor family calm...!

Using comparethestorage.com made avoiding quotes easy and pin pointed some seemingly reasonable options its sharp but sort of blunt on pricing. Enough to get a start point

Seems that 25 sq foot equates to £6 pw not sure if that's with VAT and not with insurance.
That space in this case is 5 ft by 5ft and 8 ft tall 24hr security. So not a bad idea for bikes parts or bulky stuff..,

Presuming their cheaper 10 sq foot or 16 won't be much use for anything but boxes.

Anyone made use of this kind of thing? And tips or wisdom to share?

Cheers :)

If its bikes, strip down and store (at home) might be better. It's quite amazing how little space bikes need once you've got them down to a pile of parts.

If the storage is old ship containers, these are awful. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. Loads of condensation destroys stuff/ stock/ bikes etc

We put all of our worldly goods in an ISO when we had a two week gap between sale of our old house and completion of our new one. This was summer '12. Wouldn't want to leave stuff I care about in one of those for more than a month or so.

Interesting and useful replies. Thank you. I've sort of decided its too pricey plus I do agree that paying for storage for excess stuff is a little crazy.
I'm not ruling it out though would certainly consider it for special times or to get tidied up completely.

For a while yesterday I was thinking that its a good place to store things and keep em nice but maybe some places are better than others...
Bikes do strip down nicely.... Decisions decisions!

Used one to store half (?) our stuff when we were between house sale and purchase as we were renting somewhere a lot smaller.

The set up consisted of lots of metal cupboards of the varying sizes inside a temperature controlled building. We had quite a few pictures (inc signed prints), wooden furniture, a mattress and moving boxes containing all sorts.

As temperature was kept stable, no issues with condensation etc. We were using it from September '12 through to May this year.

highlandsflyer":1ew7khz4 said:
In my view it is generally better to get rid of some gear rather than start paying for storage.
Correct.

They sell a daily or weekly rate as it seems cheap but after a few years you've paid out hundreds to keep stuff which you don't need. Else it would be in your house.

Thanks TedC that's how I understand it works, when a house move happens in the future I will defo use this service.

techno'd up, yeah your logic is right. Thought it was worth an ask here as we have so many erm, collectors! And many who really manage to look after and mothball their prize possessions.
I've collected old cars over the past several years, and these are the most painful of things to keep. Been slowly scaling that back. Storing bikes and other things is easier in contrast. But still the things.you own end up owning you! :-D

Have you got a loft ?

If so, have you utilised all the space possible, that's where I keep all my bike spares, that way it keeps me out of trouble with my Wife :p

Back