Stopping Smoking - wish me luck!!

Re: Smoking - wish me luck!!

TGR":3deeslzy said:
Reuben,

You could be right and then again, you may not be. I am going to try hard to stop

Richard

DON'T SAY TRY!! say I WILL STOP!! try is what you say when your not committed, take the bull by the horns and quit NOW for good and as Jean-Luc Picard says "Make it so" :)

Alison

Fair point, i do want to stop and i have plenty of reasons - the tablets will give me the help to get over the cigs and perhaps i won't be smoking at the end. I should add that it seems that no one here has used the tablets - they are a bit odd but once you stop you don't really look for a cig - hard to explain to someone who has not tried them.

I have given this plenty of thought and perhaps i have concentrated on the time i am going to stop and not really thought too much about actually stopping, so the comments are valid. I can only hope this is the end of the cigs.

Richard

Just believe in yourself, know you CAN beat this and you will, Go to it and all the very best of luck. Also believe in what works for you don't listen to the this does not work or that does not work, if it works for you it works, I didn't use anything cus there was nothing available, but it maybe head or physical but if it works for you use it.

Alison

Thanks Alison,

I am not confident but i think i can do this with the assistance of the meds. And no side effects today either - which is a good start.

Richard

I realised that stopping is easy as all you do is not have one again. I sound flippant and don't mean to but it's as easy as that. Your head won't fall off if you don't smoke again so just don't do it and don't over think it.

Like many others I had tried unsuccessfully on several occasions to give up. I even went for 7 months on one attempt before getting hooked again. What finally worked for me was a combination of things. Firstly I wanted to stop smoking. Secondly I told myself I was not 'giving up' but I was 'stopping'. 'Giving up' something implies not doing something that you enjoy snd therefore want to do. I had made the decision to start smoking and now I was making the decision to stop. Finally, I didn't - and still don't - count the minutes/days/months since I stopped. I can say that it is many years since I stopped and I wish you every success in your attempt. Whatever works for you - Do It :D

Michael,

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I am surprised no one has mentioned saving the money each day to buy something - like a bike!

Richard

if you stop, or give up, and then have a fag in a moment of weakness/beer etc, you have psychologically failed...so you start smoking again. but if you make a possessive effort to seriously cut down....you havn't failed if you have a cigarette...so you still carry on cutting down!

TGR":2zdjm9fl said:
Michael,

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

I am surprised no one has mentioned saving the money each day to buy something - like a bike!

Richard

I bought a £10.000 pound bike, there I've mentioned it :LOL: not true, I spent mine on, struth I dunno what on. I did have my bike stolen at about the same time and the people living above gave me a bike but the frame was rather, well very much, to big, I bought from Halfords with my extra cash, through not smoking, I won't say too much :oops: a gear kit. I went to see a bike enthusiast, that was obviously fixing bikes from his shed, and asked if he could put my acquisitions on my frame/wheels, he said yes but was the frame to big, he'd sort it, relief. A week later I went back, he'd previously asked my name, I could see he thought I was a chap so I'd said Alex. I went to collect my bike, a wonderful job he'd done but when he was asking about my boyfriends I did get rather embarrassed :oops:

Alison

Latest posts

Back