Specialized Stumpjumper

TrevorKershaw

Retro Guru
I remember around 1995/96 an ad for a metal matrix Stumpjumper possibly M2 in powder blue. The ad went along the lines of "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight" or something like that. Can anyone confirm what the bike was?

I don't recall that one, but have a '95 add at home that says something to the effect of "not long ago, this bicycle was aimed at Moscow", describing the M2 MMC material as having been developed for missile nose cones and tank driveshafts.

J

I think I found the answer to my own question. It wasn't a 1995/6 model, but I saw the flyer in Padiham Cycles around 1995/6. [edit: i have now seen a 1996 model which is essentially the same so the flyer may have been for 1996]

It must have been advanced publicity for 1998. Can anyone remember about the frame material. I seem to remember it being something called "metal matrix", which consisted of ceramic bits in the aluminium for strength, or was I tripping at the time?
I know that I wanted one as they looked so gorgeous!

Attachments

• 1998 Stumpjumper.jpg
    1998 Stumpjumper.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 430
FSXStumpy":2853o0f7 said:
I don't recall that one, but have a '95 add at home that says something to the effect of "not long ago, this bicycle was aimed at Moscow", describing the M2 MMC material as having been developed for missile nose cones and tank driveshafts.

J

Maybe that is why most of the early versions "crash and burn" when the frame crack..

The material was referred to as "M2 Metal Matrix Composite" and was a 6000 series alumimum with about 10% aluminum oxide ceramic particulate material added. Reputedly increased strength and fatigue resistance between 10% and 20% over straight aluminum. Very abrasive material to machine, hard to work and weld.

I worked at a Specialized retailer for some years in the mid-late '90's. I can't remember a single cracked M2 frame in that time. My own '95 is still intact too (*knocks on wood*). Did they have a reputation for cracking? I honestly haven't heard of it.

J

Back