XTR M900 Chainset Query

vmlopes

Retro Guru
Hey fellas am sure one of you with this chainset can answer quickly.

The spacers for the granny ring measure approx 5.3mm when fitted this makes the gap between the middle and granny much larger than the outer and middle??? Is this correct or do I have the wrong size spacers......on my M730 chainset all the rings are space equally??

See pics below

20130923_151615 by ajj_photography, on Flickr

Have you got the smallest chainring on incorrect ? is there a recess on the face of the chainring where the spacers sit into , moving the chainring in slightly ?

Without measuring my Xtr chainset (which I'll do later, if needed) I cannot tell you if the space of 5.3mm is right or wrong, the spacers themselves however do look like the ones I have fitted on mine.

Mr Universe":2lhnat1q said:
Have you got the smallest chainring on incorrect ? is there a recess on the face of the chainring where the spacers sit into , moving the chainring in slightly ?

Without measuring my Xtr chainset (which I'll do later, if needed) I cannot tell you if the space of 5.3mm is right or wrong, the spacers themselves however do look like the ones I have fitted on mine.

I believe the granny ring is fitted correctly, the numbers to the outside? but will check for a recess, which I don't think this one has??

...those spacers don't look right to my eyes - the M900 ones were one piece, had no grooves and were matt finished.

Ovlov440 is right about your granny spacers not being original but this shouldn't be a problem because the space of 5.3mm is correct.
I can have a look at my own M900 chainset tomorrow when i get home to verify my thought but i think your chainring bolts for the middle/big ring are missing some spacers that sit between the middle ring and the crank. Adding the correct spacers there should be the solution to your problem.

But of course i could be totally wrong. :)

Is the middle chainring different on yours the shimano XTR m900 it looks very different to yours a lot thicker and spaced in the side profile. Think the shimano one comes in a lot more and away from the inner edge of the larger out chainring for the correct spacing......yours looks very narrow :roll:

My original spacers had rings on them, this was the 1992 model before the top sg-x ring.

The middle above looks odd as it isn't the m900 sg-x ramped ring that was fitted.

The 5.3mm was for the m900 26T ring that was recessed, a 24T steel ring should work about the same, a 26T+ steel ring may need 4.3mm spacer as the rings are thicker.

But it should be 7.5 ish for middle to granny.. I'll check tommorow

Back