Claud Butler 1940's bike

From memory it looks like an early post war jubilee model, more of an entry model. I had one of those single roller cyclo gears about then too. The rear rim looks like an Alumlite, we needed to fill up the well of the rim, similar problem to the constrictor rims, the inner tubes could not stretch that far between the wire beads.

Yes I had the same problem so I had to reduce them several times before they would be accepted

keithglos":389czy6z said:
From memory it looks like an early post war jubilee model, more of an entry model. I had one of those single roller cyclo gears about then too. The rear rim looks like an Alumlite, we needed to fill up the well of the rim, similar problem to the constrictor rims, the inner tubes could not stretch that far between the wire beads.

I could be wrong, but I though the Jubilee model was introduced in 1953 to celebrate 25 years of Claud Butler? I have a 1953 Claud Butler Jubilee and although its similarly fillet brazed there are a few differences to the OP's frame.

Old Ned":3a00tet8 said:
Would it have had the Osgear style rear dropouts in '53?

Osgear drop outs. I've learned something new there, always wondered what they were called :)

Mine has a small lump instead of the longer prong. I take it there to help guide the axle into the drop outs?

Not Osgear dropouts. These shown were popular and were extended to assist any wheel in.
The Osgear ends had a seperate forward position like a vertical end, plus the position for any other wheel behind.
Keith

keithglos":qhkik6ph said:
Not Osgear dropouts. These shown were popular and were extended to assist any wheel in.
The Osgear ends had a seperate forward position like a vertical end, plus the position for any other wheel behind.
Keith
Ah well, there you go then! I bow to superior knowledge. I'm sure someone told me once that the ones with the extensions like these were for Osgears.

He obviously didn't know either.

Paul, the idea behind Osgear ends was simply that you did not pull the wheel over, we were all using wingnuts then. I had the osgear ends on my 1951 Les Vince, I stuck a pic of it on here somewhere.

The real thing can be found here:
http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/de ... ar-hs.html
H Stone does say that the early Margherita gears had a sprung tension arm, they didn't.

The pro Osgear had an additional ratchet control on the side of the gear lever to de-tension the sprung arm. Pros in the 30/40s were very fussy about keeping the chain slack, hence the revised Simplex with 2 cables, the Paris/Roubaix which slackened the chain as you tightened the wheel, and the design of the original Gran Sport tension cage spacing, to run freely.
Keith

Latest posts

Back