Booze, taste, society, conditioning...

I was never a lover of alcohol in my youth, just made me dizzy & sick.
The only drink i could stomach was pernod & blackcurrant.
My drink of choice was coffee with cannabis. Smoking it made me puke.
My dad introduced me to drugs at the ripe age of 13. :shock:
Not the greatest role model.
These days my drink of choice is root beer.
Not touched alcohol & drugs for nearly 20 years now.
One of the Best decision's i made.

people have always gone to extraordinary lengths to get shitfaced. the problem is alcohol tastes like shit so they have also gone to extraordinary lengths to make it taste better. you are conditioned to tolerate what is acceptable in your area be it cider, Guinness, whiskey whatever. this is why when you go on holiday and try the local tipple it tastes rank until you have drunk a fair share and think its a good idea to take a bottle home to inflict on your mates.

here a pic of a prehistoric still, judging by the state of the guy who made it it works pretty well

Attachments

• P1070462.JPG
    P1070462.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 200
Interesting thread, my 2p

When i was younger i drank with my chums and rarely tasted drink at home - although i remember tasting Tennents (with the girl on the tin) when i was around 8 years old - my Dad took the tin off me before i finished it. In my teens i drank Vat 19 and coke for a couple of years when my mates were on beer and cider, then moved on to more beer - it was cheaper (again, i remember going into an off licence which was doing buy 1 get 1 free on crates of cheap lager - we left with a shopping trolley piled high - 12 cases and it took 3 of us to get the trolley outside). Moving on, late teens started on vodka and drank it in various guises (coke, pure orange, shandy) until about 2 years ago when i went back to lager.

I never went on proper hoildays when i was young - i worked on a farm so in summer etc i was busy when my friends were partying. I think now that we have an almost annual holiday and it is warm and the sun is out, i prefer lager and that is probably why i went off the vod.

As everyone does, i have had bad experiences with drink - i cannot smell Vat 19 anymore or Bacardi. Malibu or Pernod turns me and i have a battle with whiskey. I think that i will find a whiskey i like but at the moment i cannot go near it (a result of a bad experience when i was 14 with it).

It is an interesting point about conditioning and perhaps peer pressure is more the guiding force behind drink. I have done numerous stupid things when drunk - not all funny or repeatable now. Drinking in school, drinking when i should have been at school - those probably were my biggest regrets but not worth losing sleep over now.

I have lost 2 friends who became alcoholics and it killed them in their early 40's and i have a couple of friends now who should consider what they are doing to themselves. I like a drink and stick mostly to lager now, with maybe the odd vodka and Baileys if we are out for a meal.

The stories i could tell....

Richard

p.s. re the smoking - i will post another thread

technodup":3psovic6 said:
And on a related note could women just drinks women's drinks. That doesn't include pints or bottles of beer. Wine or spirits only thanks very much.

Oh and wine is vile. All of it.

Why? do you think ladies should be ladies and drink drinks in delicate glasses. I like my beer, my McEwans Champion, a nice cold beer on a sunny warm evening in the garden can be soo wonderfully refreshing, where as a warm red wine is not, I don't drink white even dry white tastes too sweet for me. True I'm not a lady, like my sister, I'm just a woman who enjoys drinking whatever seems right at the time. What I don't like is when you see women out on the town drunk exposing their breasts thinking it's funny errggh, now that is not on.

Alison

rider":2ldkvfec said:
highlandsflyer":2ldkvfec said:
That from the country that makes the best beer in the world!
And from the guy that when he finish first glass of Pilsner Urquell cannot say no to second,third... :facepalm:

"One is sufficient.
Two is too many.
Three are never enough!"

It's not just bevvies that taste wierd until you aquire the taste; Tea, coffee? You don't tend to drink them as a nipper.
Tomatos and Broccoli, roast garlic and olives? I was in my thirties before I started to appreciate garlic. Now I hum. Midges won't touch me!
Nor will the missus come to that... :cry:

suburbanreuben":1uuceqez said:
It's not just bevvies that taste wierd until you aquire the taste; Tea, coffee? You don't tend to drink them as a nipper.
Tomatos and Broccoli, roast garlic and olives? I was in my thirties before I started to appreciate garlic. Now I hum. Midges won't touch me!

Two out of four of my children drink tea and my oldest daughter has eaten olives since food first passed her lips, while my oldest son as a young one thought ALL food was the devils poison, but eats anything now. I think sometimes you can acquire a taste for foods/drinks and sometimes you'll never like it, I hate fish and always will do, I will always hate Carlsberg too, and some you'll love even though they are strong from the moment you taste them, it's all pretty much of a muchness.

Alison

Isaac_AG":3c13b12k said:
suburbanreuben":3c13b12k said:

Two out of four of my children drink tea and my oldest daughter has eaten olives since food first passed her lips, while my oldest son as a young one thought ALL food was the devils poison, but eats anything now. I think sometimes you can acquire a taste for foods/drinks and sometimes you'll never like it, I hate fish and always will do, I will always hate Carlsberg too, and some you'll love even though they are strong from the moment you taste them, it's all pretty much of a muchness.

Alison

Suburbanreuben has it about right I reckon.

I can understand not liking some kinds of fish, but all fish?? That is like saying you don't like the Beatles.

highlandsflyer":2i9yp49g said:
Isaac_AG":2i9yp49g said:
suburbanreuben":2i9yp49g said:

Alison

Suburbanreuben has it about right I reckon.

I can understand not liking some kinds of fish, but all fish?? That is like saying you don't like the Beatles.

I love the Beatles, but I've yet to taste any fishy substance that does not just taste just fishy, salmon, herring, pollock oysters, cod, haddock, prawns, tuna, cockles, muscles alive a live o I've eaten 'em all and they just taste horribly fishy and stink to high heaven when cooked or not, I know fresh fish does not smell, but it's not long before the house smells of it and it bloomin lingers too.

Alison

Back