Stopping Smoking - wish me luck!!

Re: Smoking - wish me luck!!

kermitgreenkona88":fptne1xo said:
Remember what Yoda says....................................... Not try or try not.. DO or DO NOT !!!!

Absolutely

Alison

Most of the addiction is psychological, there are very few symptoms of nicotine withdrawal and in fact 90% happen overnight when you are asleep it's out of the body that fast!
If you can beat the psychological addiction you can beat it flat, NRT is a crock and a tax supplement for the Govt with all the people giving up.
I smoked from the age of about 14 to 35 and at my peak smoked about 40 Embassy a day, I changed to hand rolled for the last 10 years as prices rose but could never quit, I tried and failed about 6 times, trying books, NRT tabs, gum and patches.
How I did it was, I spent 6 month psyching myself up for the stopping (telling myself it was going to kill me etc) and quit in June (no pressure from new year etc). I literally just threw everything away and stopped.
That was 3 years ago now. I haven't touched one since and was disgusted when the wife had a few sneaky puffs of a friends cig (she said it tasted awful and made her feel ill) as she quit at the same time as me. We both now find it repulsive and wouldn't consider it again. All my friends have quit too via cold turkey. When I first stopped I didn't change my routine and even popped out to the smoking areas at work to chat with my colleagues as some of our best ideas came a cig break time, I just didn't smoke. Then after 6 months and in the winter when it was unpleasant I stopped going out.
You can do it when you put you mind to it.

Carl.

Thanks all for the encouragement. Tablet taken at 0815 - no ill effects like the last time so all is good. I think i should add, that although i always did enjoy a smoke, i am getting a bit fed up with it at the moment - a good thing, given my circumstances.

Richard

I've never smoked so this is why I had 'loadsa money' when I was younger.....lol

Find big steel coffee tin, weld lid shut, make very narrow slot and put in the money you would have spent
on the fags, After one year has passed get the Wife and Daughter to help and rip open the contents,
by gum you'll love counting all the cash, it will shock you too.

Good luck with quitting mate and I hope you have the will power this time and you know its for the best.

Another question! Does the wife smoke ??

Ian.

Ian Raleigh":3126h4ue said:
I've never smoked so this is why I had 'loadsa money' when I was younger.....lol

Find big steel coffee tin, weld lid shut, make very narrow slot and put in the money you would have spent
on the fags, After one year has passed get the Wife and Daughter to help and rip open the contents,
by gum you'll love counting all the cash, it will shock you too.

Good luck with quitting mate and I hope you have the will power this time and you know its for the best.

Another question! Does the wife smoke ??

Ian.

When I gave up people said "You won't really notice it financially" I did similar to what you suggest but just for 3 months and yes I was shocked by what I had put aside and I carried on noticing the difference for some time.

Alison

Alison! My Auntie & Uncle both packed in smoking and within one year they had enough money
to buy a brand new VW Polo! Though my Auntie smoked 60 a day and my Uncle smoked 40 day.

We didn't notice the difference much I used to get enough cheap baccy on holiday to last 9 months and the wife didn't smoke that much really, but I do wonder now how on earth we would afford it if we did still smoke.

Carl.

Hi Ian,

Wife is social smoker - maybe 20 per year!!! No joke.

Richard

I don't know how it was in past times, in terms of how the cost stacked up - my dad smoked, like many of his age and background (services) - so probably from being at high school to well into middle age. When I was about 17, he just quit. There was no big build-up, no talk or any precursor or health concerns (at least none that I was told of). He had a thing about mints and pear drops for a while afterwards, but as far as I can see just stopped dead.

Work circumstances had changed for him around that time, and they were always prudent about finances - I suppose it's possible there could have been a money reason why he did, but this would be the late 80s, so not exactly sure how it all stacked up compared with cost of living and income.

Other people I know who smoke, now, smoke a fair amount, and have always been on modest incomes. I feel lucky, never having dabbled - looking at how much they cost, now, I'd hate to be spending money like that - much the same with booze, really. I suppose in terms of afforability, most must find a way, so I suppose if the devil drove, and all - but all the same, I'm glad neither are outgoings for me.

As to the e-cigs - well I can't truly empathise, anyways - but have seen people take to them with gusto, but true to form, although possibly reduced their consumption of real cigarettes, that may be just a short term distraction for the determined. But the rise in popularity - that will never fly if it has meaningful bites into the revenue stream of tax on cigarettes, there has been rumblings already, but some the full weight of taxation, sorry, "regulation" will be brought to bear - for the benefit and safety of the consumer, of course.

Neil":d2u4zz2o said:
I don't know how it was in past times, in terms of how the cost stacked up - my dad smoked, like many of his age and background (services) - so probably from being at high school to well into middle age. When I was about 17, he just quit. There was no big build-up, no talk or any precursor or health concerns (at least none that I was told of). He had a thing about mints and pear drops for a while afterwards, but as far as I can see just stopped dead.

I just stopped dead, popped the 18 I had left through the student neighbour's door and never smoked again, I did find having something in my hand helpful, I don't know much about taxation of these eciggies but I think people see a smokey substance coming from them and makes them feel they are smoking. As to health I did get quite a nasty cough about a week later for a few weeks and that was it. As said before you have to stop dead, you have to say I will stop not I'll try to and then just do it.

Alison

Back