Singlespeed crank suggestions? M952 discussion.

Pdid

Dirt Disciple
I'm in the process of building a commuter/ winter hack single speed. Unfortunately the cranks on the bike are old alivio where the chain rings are welded together. The bcd of there crank makes it impossible for me to get the required 44ish chainring.

I've seen some cheapish single speed specific chainsets on Ebay and also some older lx chainsets which could be converted to one ring. Any advice? I don't really want to spend much more than £30.

Cheers

Re: Singlespeed crank suggestions?

I vote for old LX type (110 bcd) plenty of metal in the spider, & easy to get rings down to 34 t. Tough, easy to polish & not silly looking. Used them on loads of bikes, easy to find at jumbles etc. but may turn up on complete bikes in small ads for bobbins.

How about these for a fiver plus postage? I should have the bottom bracket somewhere for it. I can fish out the model number if you're interested? Threads and tapers good. I think the rings are pretty good too from memory. Will check though.

Cheers, T..

DSC_5151_zpscb593455.jpg

Cab":byhyj8ha said:
I vote for old LX type (110 bcd) plenty of metal in the spider, & easy to get rings down to 34 t. Tough, easy to polish & not silly looking. Used them on loads of bikes, easy to find at jumbles etc. but may turn up on complete bikes in small ads for bobbins.

Lx as in M570 like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 609

russ77":1eytexwv said:
How about these for a fiver plus postage? I should have the bottom bracket somewhere for it. I can fish out the model number if you're interested? Threads and tapers good. I think the rings are pretty good too from memory. Will check though.

Cheers, T..

They look ok, what's the BCD and yeah if you can find model number would be good cheers.

I have an old Exage crankset I picked up from here for £10 or so maybe less. I am not selling it ust lookf for something old and lower down the shimano range and bingo you will have your self a cheap single speed chainset.

I've gone down the 952 route, going to get them ceramic coated. I would have polished but it just won't suit this build ... :-(

WD :D

Haha, as much as I'd love to go down the 950, 952 route It doesn't really fit with the "budget build" I intended. However (just in case) would XTR or Middleburn be more preferable :twisted:

Back