V brakes on a pace rc200 f3?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
After a lull in builds I've completed a few recently and it is now finally the time to tackle the pace. I've gone through various build ideas in my head, most of which have resulted in me buying everything, then changing my mind and then buying some more.

I started out thinking full xc pro, for something a bit different (so many m900 builds, with syncros), then chopped and changed bits here and there to finally arrive at (approximately) the following:

Xc pro hubs, mechs and shifters (thumbies or under bar)
Caramba sidewinder cranks (black or silver)
Black onza cantis
Tec lite brake levers
Black campag rims
Black x-lite saddle and silver x-lite post
Stem and bars tbc, but was thinking Scott at-4 for fun
Pace rc35 forks (rc30s as well)

I was also contemplating nuke proof carbon hubs, but would need to build these up into wheels, and I could then use the matching nuke proof bar ends I have.

Now my dilemma is with forks. I'm picking up some rc36 evos tomorrow with the gold nitride stantions and it's thrown my plans a bit as I reckon these would look great on the frame, and I also have a gold spider for the cranks. Trouble is cantis are a no go on the forks, and whilst I'm no purist and have v brakes on all my bikes that have a frame canti mount, I'm not sure I should with this build. It will also mean having to source alternative brakes and levers.

So should I stick with plan a above, or go with the forks and v brakes, plan b if you will.

If plan b, what brakes and levers would suit, ideally black? Most of my builds are shod with m950/2 brakes so would be looking to do something different, as was always the aim with this build anyway.

This is likely to be my last build for a while, as I hope to get out and ride my collection locally, and hopefully join in on some rb rides too, so I want to make a good fist of this build, then clear out the garage of build temptation in an effort to remove as much ride distraction as I can.

Let me know your thoughts, as I'm keen to crack on.

Go with your first idea it sounds great :) and keep the RC36's for something else.

Idea one sounds great, but can I steer you away from the Xlite post and go for a non shimmed correct diameter instead...really not worth the risk brother!!

Cheers and looking forward to the build

Rich :)

Rich":3edof80h said:
Idea one sounds great, but can I steer you away from the Xlite post and go for a non shimmed correct diameter instead...really not worth the risk brother!!

Cheers and looking forward to the build

Rich :)
Cheers Rich, but fear not, it is a 29.4 x-lite post.

Consensus so far is plan a, any other opinions? If I were to go down the v brake route, aside from xtr, anyone have any recommendations for nice, black v brakes?

ajantom":2y1k140n said:
Maguras? Would suit a Pace build, and get around the v-brake issue.
Certainly an option, though cable routing won't be pretty and there is still the 'issue' of the canti mount on the back.

Might work though, hmmm.

Latest posts

Back