Project No. 1: Alpinestars Cro-Mega XT '1992 meets 2008'

For the price they go for I'm gonna keep hold of it I think :D

When you had your original Cro-Mega did the stem crack? They had a big recall on them in 1992, the alloy hadn't been heat treated properly! Mine cracked round the handlebar clamp bolt :shock:

Cheers
Stu

stu":1m7b3xz8 said:
For the price they go for I'm gonna keep hold of it I think :D

When you had your original Cro-Mega did the stem crack? They had a big recall on them in 1992, the alloy hadn't been heat treated properly! Mine cracked round the handlebar clamp bolt :shock:

Cheers
Stu
No problem with mine, first I'd heard of it tbh. The main failings I found was the shimano 500LX gear which was simply crap, snapped a rear mech, and a crank and the hubs were a throw away within 18 months. But you should have been fine with the DX on that score. Also the front mech drove me mad, forever coming loose and moving, with the tiny bolt supplied you could never torque it up properly.

Regards, Mark.

My mate managed to get a cromoly stem as a warranty replacement, my Cro-Mega was second hand so I had to buy my own, grrrrrrr!

Biggest hurdle for an original rebuild is the longer bolt needed for the endless clip front mech! the standard one you get isn't long enough, the curved bit of alloy that needs to go behind the hanger is easy to recreate......going the e-type route is a really good idea :D

I still have the TKO tyres that came on it too.......

Cheers
Stu

stu":83riypys said:
I still have the TKO tyres that came on it too.......

I take it you've not been using them, assuming you've not just discharged yourself from hospital. They were motocross inspired I believe, but any mx'er in his right mide would'nt use that tread pattern, simply woeful. The best upgrade I ever made was a 'smoke' on the back and a 'porcupine' on the front, totally transformed the bike.

Non E stay Cro-Mega LX for you...

Ap006.jpg

Ran it for a while with them and then slung a set of slicks on, really good town bike! still have the original wheels for it too but for some reason the spokes were not stainless! they need respoking as they're really tarnished!

Looking forward to seeing yours when it's done :D

Cheers
Stu

Cheers Stu, I can't wait to finish it but have to take my time and get it right.

Simon I like the non e-stay alpinestars they have unique beauty too. I even like the graphics on those early ones. Thanks for the picture.

Out of interest what is Leisure Lakes response when asking for a discount?

The front mech was a nightmare.

My Al-Mega has the oversize 2mm brake cables with the adaptors, were these standard?
Didn't have a problem with the stem, although I was annoyed when I bought some new bars for it and found out the Alpinestars were oversize!

Rampage":3dvanxox said:
Out of interest what is Leisure Lakes response when asking for a discount?

The front mech was a nightmare.

My Al-Mega has the oversize 2mm brake cables with the adaptors, were these standard?
Didn't have a problem with the stem, although I was annoyed when I bought some new bars for it and found out the Alpinestars were oversize!
Leisure Lakes are one of the tightest shops I've come across, if cheap bits are what your after steer clear.
I think the oversize cables were standard on the al-mega as were many of the parts like the bars. Back then they were difficult to source spares for but today everything seems to have come around to alpinestars thinking, like the headset for example.

Attachments

• 1b30_1.jpg
    1b30_1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4,080
Back