Unusual machine?

Kapelmuur

Retro Newbie
Seen in Altrincham, a dark red Peugeot road bike with chromed forks. The strange thing was that the levers were mounted either side of the stem.

Is this a production bike or has it been modified?

as Shaun says that type of arrangement was quite common back in the 70's, we still have a few pair (NOS) in the shop buried in a draw somewhere

Similar to this?

1a.jpg

P1050445.jpg

I always thought that was a good idea, weird how it got a reputation for only being on cheaper bikes.

Bats":219ndo32 said:
I always thought that was a good idea, weird how it got a reputation for only being on cheaper bikes.

A pal of mine went over the bars on a bike fitted with them. Unfortunately his scrotum snagged on one of the levers. Not nice, serious surgery and long-term consequences. :shock:

Unfortunately his scrotum snagged on one of the levers. Not nice, serious surgery and long-term consequences.
That'll be why they turn up mostly on mixte frames ;) ....I'll get my coat.

All the best,

hamster":3tq85ybm said:
Bats":3tq85ybm said:

A pal of mine went over the bars on a bike fitted with them. Unfortunately his scrotum snagged on one of the levers. Not nice, serious surgery and long-term consequences. :shock:

I think Sheldon Brown 'outlawed' them for just this reason. Highly dangerous. Were they able to be sold in the US? Some lawyers must have made a mint if they were.

Back