Damaged pedal threads

Pedalitis

Old School Hero
I have a nice pair of vintage Campag pedals but there is some slight damage to the threads - they will fit into some crank arms and not others, so I know it's not severe damage. Where could I get these repaired?

BITD if normal pedals had damaged threads we threw them away, for Campag we carried spare axles. Seem to think the threads were chromed and not sure if we carried taps for them.

What sort of campag pedals are they ?

Shaun

I think they're Campag Record - possibly 1970s? I can buy the taps but they'd cost more than the pedals!

Bob

Sorry.......slipped into vernacular language, yep, should have said die.

The other option is a fine triangular needle file to clear the threads perhaps?

Shaun

It depends how damaged the threads are, but if you don't have a die you can chase over the thread (is it 9/16" unc?), you can get thread restoring files - essentially a toothed file that you gently run along the threads and shave the damaged bits off. It's not ideal, but you've got plenty of threads on a pedal axle and losing a few won't do it any harm or affect safety or performance in my opinion. Obviously, if the crank is in poor condition as well then you'll have less chance of it tightening up completely.

Just an example but this would do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metric-or-Imp ... 27d833418f

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Don't remember those types of files when I was working around bikes........ Learn something new every day as they say :D

Shaun

Back