Sad day: Company takeovers

Anyway, I just like to know he's got there safely, as he does cycle 14 miles a day down a busy main road, and to tell him to cycle carefully home, sometimes the odd call if I really need to get in touch there and then, other than that it's the odd email message.

Alison

I think it's nice that you have that kind of relationship, especially with all the trials and tribulations you've overcome...:cool:

We_are_Stevo":3lr2s4h1 said:
I miss the good old days when you walked out the door in the morning and unless there was an emergency you didn't have to talk to your family until you walked back in the door that evening...

...I simply cannot understand the mania to be constantly plugged into a mobile phone or personal stereo, especially the morons who walk down the street looking like Princess Leia their 'personal' headphones are that big!

What's wrong with peace and quiet? No wonder people don't have anything meaningful to say to each other any more... :|

There's a flipside to that, though. Being the utter B'Stard (that's not diddling the swear filter, it's homage) and misanthrope that I am, being plugged into personal stereo / MP3 player has made it a lot easier to be completely antisocial - gym, mainly, but also whilst shopping.

Without it - especially in the gym - it can be like a green flag to the needy to try and smile and strike up a conversation with me. FFS what's wrong with these people...

I'll let you into a little secret, too - when I've got earphones in (I don't wear any of those big, fecking stupid cans on my ears while I'm out and about) I don't always have any music playing, I sometimes just have them in, when I'm not in the mood for listening to music, just so that people don't try and make conversation with me. I love hating everybody. Makes me feel all warm inside.

Isaac_AG":2iza52qs said:
I was thibking a cheap £10 p/m contract, he'll never ever put money on a PAYG phone, but might accept a direct debit of £10 every month.

Alison

Sorry to hijack the 'phone suggestions' theme, but my current one's a PAYG (sort of - I'm on a £15 per month SIM-only Virgin contract) Alcatel OneTouch Blackberry look-a-like that cost me a measly 12 quid from Phones4u. I'm not a great fan of mobiles but I did OK for the money. Useful to have in case of a bike related emergency, late train, that sort of thing. Having a proper QWERTY keypad is right up my street too.

David

We_are_Stevo":w3qbzx06 said:
I miss the good old days when you walked out the door in the morning and unless there was an emergency you didn't have to talk to your family until you walked back in the door that evening...

...I simply cannot understand the mania to be constantly plugged into a mobile phone or personal stereo, especially the morons who walk down the street looking like Princess Leia their 'personal' headphones are that big!

What's wrong with peace and quiet? No wonder people don't have anything meaningful to say to each other any more... :|

http://gawker.com/louis-c-k-s-explanati ... socialflow

I agree!

He's paid for 8 hours work, then he should work for 8 hours, if he starts at 9am and you called at 8.50 fine, if you called at 9.10 then he should be working, I don't see a problem with this, its just as bad as stopping for a quick smoke, outside of tea breaks or lunch.

Why is a company takeover a sad day ?

TheGreenRabbit":37gflxc5 said:
Why is a company takeover a sad day ?

Because every time it's been taken over after, the following Christmas they get rid of people, my husband has escapes the last three, no guarantees this time :(

95% of the time he doesn't get a lunch brake or any brake, and he never takes a day off sick when he's not, like a lot in the office, I think they are lucky to have him, and he often has to do other peoples jobs as well as his own cus they've got rid of so many, I hardly think a 10 second call twice a day is that big a deal.

Alison

rosstheboss":39w3d4gk said:
We_are_Stevo":39w3d4gk said:

http://gawker.com/louis-c-k-s-explanati ... socialflow

I agree!

I think some of that smartphone thing goes back to something I passed comment on a while back - there was a time when things like technology, mobile phones, they were a conduit to social behaviour - a means to an end. Now I'll buy, perhaps they've encouraged a certain impulsive, lack of deferred satisfaction that's supposed to elevate humans - but all the same, were a means to an end.

Not so, anymore - the infrastructure built up around it, and how many behave, now, make what was the conduit - the networking - an end in it's own right. Many live vicariously through technology, social networking, and that "always-on" beacon to the world, or at least their subset of social circle.

Is it less about true interaction with people you encounter everyday? I'm kinda ambivalent to it - my misanthropy never went down well in social situations - or is it more about people being more selective about who they interact with? And the answer is a resounding no - people aren't necessarily being more selective - perhaps less, really - just going more with an instant gratification in the medium, than may be likely for some with true human interaction.

I agree with a lot of the thing with kids and phones. And them getting locked into things. For me, my stance, currently, is consoles live in the lounge - they are family things, not things to be used to retreat into some world on their own. How long my stand on that will survive, well who's to say.

The one thing I don't want to do, though, is make my kids miserable for my agenda or concepts. In terms of things like phones, I'm not just going to bow to "I want!". It will have to make sense to me, rather than effectively being just like sticking a dummy in a baby's mouth. All the same, I have my principles and my ideas on life - some of which I'd like to think should make sense to my kids - but all the same, I can see the join, and realise, that there is a line, whereby you could simply be ego-led by trying to impose certain things on kids as they grow up, that are more about you, than their well-being.

Being a parent - especially if you do so in a family where parents are no longer together - is often about rational compromise and realising that for all the good ideas and principles you may have as a parent, if they're more about serving your notion of what's good, rather than really and truly what's best - on balance - for everybody, then sometimes, compromise is a very important lesson in life.

Isaac_AG":2yzvmb2e said:
I hardly think a 10 second call twice a day is that big a deal.

I agree and if I was the boss I wouldn't bat an eyelid at that, would rather a happy employee. But if its going to be an issue, as suggested get the cheapest mobile deal you can and get him to give you a call as he walks from the bike shed to his desk.

Neil: last paragraph. ..

...b*ll*cks!

We have to spend our whole lives being told what to do; may as well get them used to it right from the start!

'No' means 'No...'

Same with the tofu-eating, sandal-wearing "Education is stifling my kids natural creativity" bullsh*t! :evil:

Back