Sending downtube shifters to hades

Bats":2wh8u2rb said:
I'm finding loads of it but it all looks ancient and low end... Something you'd see on a 90s halfords mountain bike.

Anyway, when the sun comes back up I'll have a look see what kind of braze ons I've got on the frame. That way I know what kind of ajuster doodad I'll need to run bar ends.

Just use the rear mech adjuster (or inline adjuster if there isn't one) and you won't need one for the front as that's (better in) Friction anyway.

Mmm gold chain

TGR":1kplsdo1 said:
at that time Ultra freewheels were in vogue which would mess spacing up for indexing too.

:D

Ultra six freewheels - IIRC they will 'index' with a 7 speed shifter due to same spacing (provided you use a 7 speed chain) I think

TGR":2i6bv3os said:
Fair point, the one i bought was NOS and cheap. Perhaps, they built a lot more indexed SIS mechs than were actually put on new bikes as 7sp was introduced.

I am guessing this would have been around 1982 or early 83. And at that time Ultra freewheels were in vogue which would mess spacing up for indexing too.

Apologies if you thought i was being argumentative, that was not my intention.

Richard

A bit later than that - 6207 came first and 6208 with SIS in about '86. 7 speed came in a couple of years after with the 6400 Ultegra

TBH, i'm not surprised you are struggling with the stock levers on there. They wouldn't work properly straight out of the shop on the 3 or 4 raleighs i had of that vintage.
Getting some decent DT friction shifters would solve 90% of the problem.

And FWIW, bar end shifters aren't going to be hugely better, not with the huge run of outer cable you'll need and the fact that it's a 20+ year old rear mech, with 20+ year old springs in it..... you'll still spend all your time jiggling it backwards and forwards trying to get into the right gear.

Yeah but at least I'll be able to keep my hands on the bars. Reaching down is all well and good until you have to brake, swerve, or brake and swerve. Which I end up having to do a lot because nutters are everywhere.

Bats":833d7f5x said:
Yeah but at least I'll be able to keep my hands on the bars. Reaching down is all well and good until you have to brake, swerve, or brake and swerve. Which I end up having to do a lot because nutters are everywhere.

i think it is your riding style thatneeds to change ,not the way your bike shifts gear that is the problem. you will still have to reach down to shift gear with a bar end shifter.and how do you possibly expect to shift ,bake and swerve all at the same time. it you are going to crash surely braking and avoiding are your main objective

Back