Steel cyclocross frame advice

elPedro666":1xhosrb1 said:
I've seen a few of number one come up recently for very reasonable money indeed, so that's promising!

Personally I love the older cross frames; for this season I'm hoping to have a Sirius 753 built up - identical to the frame Roger Hammond won the '92 U23 World Champs on... :cool:

They are a different breed to the current 'do it all' type cross bikes which are basically steady touring frames in my (bitchy) opinion ;) eyelets and bottle bosses on a 'cross frame, I ask you... :roll:

:LOL:

I'm not very keen on some of the modern CX bikes with touring overtones myself. Orbit/Sirius are good 'cross frames, spied a nice one in 631 tubing parked outside my local Debenhams a little while ago! Being a local builder, I seem to recall that as steel frames go they seemed quite popular in the West Midlands CX League.

David

Indeed, although I grew up racing in that league on an Alan :facepalm:
:LOL:

I did go to the factory and test one at the time - just after Hammond's victory - and his race-winning frame was on the wall ... but I have to admit that I'm a very late convert to steel :oops:

elPedro666":1foj5xbe said:
Indeed, although I grew up racing in that league on an Alan :facepalm:

How many years back are we talking? I rode a good few WMCCL races in the early Noughties on my old Edison (I lived in York at the time but made some weekend trips to visit the folks in Wolverhampton as well as do a spot of racing), if you were competing around then our paths might have crossed (no pun intended).

David

Naughties will have been after my time sadly, I think my last 'cross race would have been in about '97...

My Alan and an old (even at the time) 501 Raleigh road frame that we had Poyners braze canti bosses on to may well still have been doing the rounds though!

elPedro666":1dhxkheu said:
Naughties will have been after my time sadly, I think my last 'cross race would have been in about '97...

My Alan and an old (even at the time) 501 Raleigh road frame that we had Poyners braze canti bosses on to may well still have been doing the rounds though!

Blimey....that takes me back, I remember Poyner's on the Dudley Road. Not a huge shop on the scale of Fred Williams, but still a good 'un. I think my first proper road shoes (Duegi) came from there!

David

Back