Fat bikes?!

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bit of a random one but a summary as I am known to waffle rubbish :oops:

Want a mountain bike as don't really own one anymore , in all honestly it's not for retro duties but more playing with mates and getting back to having some fun in the local forest.

Don't know why but I don't really want anything normal or mainstream and have most importantly it needs to be on the cycle to work scheme (good old wife!!')

Now I have been settled on a Singular swift that my local shop said they could put together for a budget single speed build but having a look around for some reason seem drawn to the on-one fatty ?

Now I have to admit I have never seen on or sat on a fatty before but have ridden around a car park on redchilli fat front jones and was very intrigued.

So questions!!

-are they really useable as your only bike?
-what are they limits? Play bike? Proper cross country ride?
-reasonably fit can they keep up happy within group of normal bikes over longer rides?
-the weight must kill you in the end is it noticeable?
-does the grin factor last after novelty ?

Cheers

Daj

-are they really useable as your only bike?

For me no, at the moment I'd say its my third choice bike behind the hardtail and full sus

-what are they limits? Play bike? Proper cross country ride?

They can do a fair bit more than sand and snow, I'd say the biggest limit was if you wanted to cover ground in a hurry.

-reasonably fit can they keep up happy within group of normal bikes over longer rides?

The drag of the big tyres does start to become noticeable after a while and trying to accelerate the big wheels also is a tester. EDIT the only group I've ridden the fat bike with is the MacRetro guys an it was fine though we do have a definite leaning towards the more sociable ride.

-the weight must kill you in the end is it noticeable?

As above, yes a bit but they can also barrel along too.

-does the grin factor last after novelty ?

I still like riding mine because it fills a gap that I don't get with the full sus and hardtail, ie enjoying the ride and the scenery kinda like retrobikes tbh.

One thing I'd say about the On one is that you can fit 29er wheels and indeed on one sell a pair so there is a bit of versatility there. Mine at the moment is for going out with my daughter for rides along the beach, I'm going to try some more snow stuff this year (if it snows) and I'm hoping to use it as an off road tourer. So for me no not a one bike to rule them all, I still enjoy the thrills of my other bikes more but it does have a space in the garage. BTW the new Swifts will take a 29+ front tyre/wheel and a few fat bike guys are saying that the 29+ size is maybe more suitable than full fat for trails and stuff.

It would seem churlish not to post my latest addition:
kGFN8cm.jpg

Designed for Surly Knard 29x3" tyres - geometry based on Surly Krampus with a few tweaks like a shorter fork. I'm running the 120tpi tyres tubeless on Velocity P35 rims - get them up to speed and they fly. Did a 60km loop at the weekend and was nearly 2km quicker than my regular 29er.
I run the tyres down to 10/12 psi and noticeable that they don't squirm about on soft sand and rarely need to take heed of roots - simply point and go. Uphill traction is awesome - I ride up the singletrack the kids have carved through the trees. Best of all, it just feels like it would go all day - the big tyres take the chatter out the trail without the need for suspension. Finally, being fully rigid it gets back to the retro-feel of my first MTB.

I had a go of mr_ship's new Salsa Beargrease at the weekend. I was really impressed with it, even more than practically everyone else in the Lake District who saw it. That thing really draws a crowd.

I've briefly ridden a Surley Moonlander before but what really impressed me with the Salsa was how light it was. It was around the 26 pound mark I think, and that was the aluminium frame. The new carbon version is meant to be closer to 24lbs.

Watching mr_ship ride just proved how much traction and control the big tyres provide. He was first to the top of most of the climbs. The rockier the better.

I'm not sure whether I'd want one as my only bike, but I definitely want one...

bikes_Beargrease_2013.jpg

i agree with kaiser, it's not a "first choice" bike, although i think the option of a second wheels is sensible. i have never owned one and i probably wouldn't buy one either but having ridden one for a little while in Moab it seemed alot of fun! :D

Attachments

• ti cycles fat bike.jpg
    ti cycles fat bike.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,058
If your fit you can ride them most places but the drag of those tyres and in some cases weight will show up your lack of fitness rather quickly. Major fun factor but not a number one choice of bike.

Daj, so glad you asked this question because I was thinking exactly the same thing and now I have all the answers, plus you have put it better than I would as I just wanted one for the look!

Wonder what the biggest tyres I could fit in my GT are.... :facepalm:

Love my On One but by no means a daily bike though mine has been for a couple of weeks while I do maintenance on my daily ride.

Its hefty, rolls well when you have got it going and is very stable. Harder to bunny hop due to the weight and the distribution feels different to a standard bike. Good off road but not as easy to jump, great on the beach but not had many snow hours on it yet. I did change a lot of bits on it as the brakes are pap but its a great machine.

I've ridden a few Fatties and like the bulldozer feel of them, yes more drag esp on fire tracks and roads. A single speed fat bike is even harder to get and keep moving so you need to be strong. Yes they are fun, will you like it? Yes you will, but if your only bike I think the novelty will wear off and your be stuck with a bike harder to sell. Everyone seems to be buying fat bikes at the moment so buy one because you love them or your wish you had chosen differently!

My Beargrease is my only modern bike and its an absolute hoot. More fun than anything else modern that I've tried so far. Its light enough, 27lbs ish and blasts through/over pretty much anything and everything. The grip is awesome, climbs just about anything and the Husker Du's roll really well once up to speed. It must be good 'cos I was beating Paul up climbs on our Grizedale ride and that never ever happens :LOL:

Back