Fillet brazed columbus frame - new build - paint touching

bduc61

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I could not resist this nice fillet brazed frame with its rich red paint and discrete "flames"

the framebuilder is probably french but unknown to me

It weighs 1875 g for the frame and 670 g for the fork

was wearing a Columbys EL sticker but a fork one on the downtube !

with such a weight I suspect the frame is rather Columbus SL ( on the columbus tubing chart - columbus SL is given at 1930 g while EL is below 1700 g)

In any case a decent frame

will build it for my 16th year old son with mostly 80's dura ace parts for a city bike - and with speeds - probably 1x8 ou 2x8 ( even if its a 126mm rear frame) some of his buddies are following the fixie craze but I believe I have convinced him its ridiculous :roll:

Unfortunately quite a few paint chips - I tried to touch them with humbrol model paint but I am not very happy about the result - gloss 19 is not very close to the initial colour and small flakes in the paint make it very difficult to do a proper job
any other paint ideas about this issue ?

what is you view on this frame and tubing ?

Re: Fillet brazed columbus frame - new build - paint touchin

Very nice indeed. Your lad must be a long 'un!

dan_bo":1e9mlc1o said:
Very nice indeed. Your lad must be a long 'un!

you mean "long legs" - indeed already 1.78 at 16 - or else ? ;)

Don't laugh :D but with small chips in metallic paints you'll get a much better match with nail polish. I've spent hours hovering around the polish displays in Boots :facepalm:

Clear nail varnish is also good for re-adhering any peeling decals.

Robbied196":16c5jgoo said:
Don't laugh :D but with small chips in metallic paints you'll get a much better match with nail polish. I've spent hours hovering around the polish displays in Boots :facepalm:

Clear nail varnish is also good for re-adhering any peeling decals.

I certainly don't laugh :cool:
very good idea for both :idea:
the girls will wonder about me looking in stores ( we don't have much boots like stores) but end justify means :LOL:

In UK there is a bewildering selection of cheap nail varnish in Superdrug etc. shops. I've found some really obscure colours to match bikes.

I could not resist this nice fillet brazed frame with its rich red paint and discrete "flames"

the framebuilder is probably french but unknown to me

It weighs 1875 g for the frame and 670 g for the fork

was wearing a Columbys EL sticker but a fork one on the downtube !

with such a weight I suspect the frame is rather Columbus SL ( on the columbus tubing chart - columbus SL is given at 1930 g while EL is below 1700 g)

In any case a decent frame

will build it for my 16th year old son with mostly 80's dura ace parts for a city bike - and with speeds - probably 1x8 ou 2x8 ( even if its a 126mm rear frame) some of his buddies are following the fixie craze but I believe I have convinced him its ridiculous :roll:

Unfortunately quite a few paint chips - I tried to touch them with humbrol model paint but I am not very happy about the result - gloss 19 is not very close to the initial colour and small flakes in the paint make it very difficult to do a proper job
any other paint ideas about this issue ?

what is you view on this frame and tubing ?

I know that this is ridiculously late, and you may not even have the frame anymore, but FYI it is an Italian frame under the marque MASS.

I doubt it is SL tubing, I don't belive it is suitable for Fillet brazing/Tig welding - this was a feature introduced to early 90's onwards tube sets like Genius, Nemo and EL. The fork is also quite light indicating mid 90's. Also depending on size, 1800-1900g isn't unheard of on medium and larger frames. I have a 56cm Genius brazed frame and IIRC it is about 1800g. Nemo is a bit lighter probably 100 to 150g lighter for a comparable frame. Fillet brazing usually end up a bit heavier than Tig also.

I'd guess at Genius tubing.

Looks like a mid-nineties Tig welded Columbus Genius frameset.
These frames are probably as good a steel frame as you could get, before everything moved towards aluminium and then carbon.

:cool::cool::cool:

Back