French Fluro Fancy (MBK Hi-Tech Ranger Circa 1989-1990)

Never mind Napolean (he lost), Mr Kipling would be well proud :LOL:

I like it a lot, but then it's 'my' kind of bike from my era! :cool:

Out of interest why do they ride oddly - it looks typical 80's geo?

Archemist":3dvapwsb said:
Never mind Napolean (he lost), Mr Kipling would be well proud :LOL:

I like it a lot, but then it's 'my' kind of bike from my era! :cool:

Out of interest why do they ride oddly - it looks typical 80's geo?

For me riding it was amusing, very different to my other bikes. The rake on the bars (Swept back) and elevation of stem puts you In a sit up position almost, it also feels like a long bike, again the Seatpost angle make you feel like your right over the back wheel. I does ride well and on the short trail rides I've done on it it's growing on me :)

mrkawasaki":1g64hqhs said:
I have one too - great to look at and ponder the magick of 'internal welding' - but a dog to ride!

Is your's the '89 though with the comically narrow bars? It would explain a lot as I rode one BITD and it was awful, my mates '89 Trakker though was quite nice if a little heavy.

Carl.

Nice :cool:
Here is mine, a Tracker Hi-Tech with same colors ;) specially built for the 25th anniversary of 1st MTB World Championsphip in France.
The frame is different, from 1988, and built with columbus DB tube set.

Attachments

• 8942021838_ee384e3436_b.jpg
    8942021838_ee384e3436_b.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,573
that frame looks like the factory recall replacement for the 88 frame some of the chain stay and seat clamps did not braze well hence the call back. there were loads that were recalled between 88-89. i swapped out maybe 40+ frames. you can tell those ones as they have that mount on the frame we were supposed put put in these reflectors that could catch a straddle cable if the main cable snapped. I think the later ones had vertical dropouts. my memory is fading. it was mandatory for me to try and sell at least one item of cosmic fluorescent frame pad/bag with each bike. hey its not me fault it was the 80's! hope it make a great build for you.

Some great info biglev :) I knew little about this bike when I acquired it, now I've learnt loads, that's the great ting about this forum :D

That's also a stunning bike albatros38 looks very vibrant :cool: love it.

Re:

Your link in BOTM led me to this thread. I have the same Ranger Hi Tech, maybe the one year earlier version. Bought it a few months ago for 10 Euros just for the parts, because originally it had a complete Deore MT62 groupset (good nick) on it. Stickers all over the place, tires fallling apart, bent handlebar, stuck headset... A placeholder frame at the moment. Quite comfy bike, but man they are heavy... :LOL:

file.php

Back