I'm going sober & smoke free...day 4.... 03/10/13

Re: I'm going sober...

REKIBorter":3ndvxgoa said:
Been thinking of cutting out the booze for a while. May join you! (currently at the docs for an appoinment to sort out my blood pressure). No guessing what I will be told, loose weight.
A wee dram before bed will sort out your blood pressure, no probs!
Also lower your cholesterol and kleen your teef.

Good luck to you Steve; stopping smoking and drinking at the same time is quite a feat. I stopped smoking 7 years ago after 25 years, no patches, no gum, but it was a piece of piss because I wanted to. That is the key. That and Turkish coffee....

suburbanreuben":1j102n3j said:
REKIBorter":1j102n3j said:
Been thinking of cutting out the booze for a while. May join you! (currently at the docs for an appoinment to sort out my blood pressure). No guessing what I will be told, loose weight.

Booze before bed ain't great for your sleep patterns - so if you're already not a great sleeper, perhaps not the thing to try. Might help you get off to sleep initially, but you'll probably not sleep as well.

Neil":15kzxyu6 said:
suburbanreuben":15kzxyu6 said:
REKIBorter":15kzxyu6 said:

Booze before bed ain't great for your sleep patterns - so if you're already not a great sleeper, perhaps not the thing to try. Might help you get off to sleep initially, but you'll probably not sleep as well.
Are you suggesting it's better to get bladdered during daylight hours?

Or were you referring to traditional Anglo Saxon 8 hours a night?

A farmer friend of ours is 103, and swears by a dram before bed.

He is a God fearing type, and doesn't swear at any other time of day.

I used to drink myself to sleep, but it was rather salty so nowadays a malt is preferred.

Not a great malt drinker, but I drink a nip of something old enough to vote every night when the wine has gone back in the cupboard. Never done me no harm.

suburbanreuben":29hv4jwc said:
Neil":29hv4jwc said:
suburbanreuben":29hv4jwc said:

Are you suggesting it's better to get bladdered during daylight hours?

Or were you referring to traditional Anglo Saxon 8 hours a night?

I don't do smileys, but I'm laughing inside.

I just meant that booze affects sleep patterns, and that people who may have problems with sleep anyways, shouldn't make it worse, nor use booze to try and help sleep - all it will do is possibly help you get off to sleep initially. I suppose enough could render you comatose - which would probably be quite a solid nights kip.

But yes, if you're gonna get bladdered, enjoy the whole day through bladdered eyes. I'm thinking of bringing out my own line of self-help and motivational CDs, just like Tony Robbins. But different.

I always found that the best time to start a bender was straight after breakfast, Full English , or with some sort of blood sausage involved, and to keep up a steady pace. Any hint of a snooze and you're done for! Any coffee or other stimulants, you're done for! keep going!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5p3i_t3c80

Cheers for all the comments, peeps.

Already started cutting down the fags this week, ready for the start if next week. Only been smoking again about a year after 4yrs of cold turkey..

Feels like I'm ready to jack them in, again, so should make it all a bit easier.. Working long shifts makes it a bit easier to avoid buying them as well..

As for the drinking, I'm only a weekend drinker and it's not a massive habit, so again, should be relatively easy to go hand in hand with the fags..

:mrgreen:

Steve,

Good luck, i am in the same boat with the cigs (there is a post up about it). I do not think i could stop the beer though - you're a bigger man than me.

And good luck to your BH too.

Richard

TGR":gzutusn3 said:
Steve,

Good luck, i am in the same boat with the cigs (there is a post up about it). I do not think i could stop the beer though - you're a bigger man than me.

I've often wondered about this - and I realise it's not quite the same as smoking - when somebody says they don't think they could give something up - is that physical dependency, psychological dependency, or simply a balance of life / reward?

I suppose I can't easily empathise - I've never smoked, and never regularly drink (I'd go further and say it's extremely rare I do have any booze - not because I'm a prude, or take issue with it, per se, it's just never really been part of my life, and I could take it or leave it - largely leave it, truth be told). But all the same, with something like booze - could you say, just as an exercise in will-power, for a month, you're not going to have any booze. Is that a) sound horrific 2) sound unachievable iii) or c) sound achievable, but you're not prepared to do without or put yourself through it?

I'm just curious, with a sideline in nosey...

Back