Merlin Titanium XLM - New Pride and Joy!

Hi from a fellow Merlin owner.
My ti model I put up yesterday, and is more for bumpy country road use now. It sure makes super clad 'roadies' gawp a bit :)

I do like those cranks and rings! Very nice. Never heard of former, but Syncros I used to worship. Had bars, stems, seatposts and allsorts, but no idea where they went.

I did think the forks looked too long for it, but do appreciate you wanting the travel. Been thinking of doing same to my Klein...

Out of touch with stuff a bit now. Whats an XLM..? Is that Xtra Light Model..? And is Merlin USA still going do you know..?

Difference between a Mountain and an XLM is the weight, 350/400g less on the XLM (for the same frame's size).

The Tune cranks have been around since the mid 90's I think.
I have had conversations where the bod has suggested that Tune were involved with Topline and possibly Cooks in the design of their cranks - I have no idea if that's actually true.

I saw your Merlin - funky handlebar/barend arrangement?? :shock:

There's more weight to come up - with wheels and pedals

Another 50g when I get the Eggbeater 4Ti on there - instead of the 2Ti

Can't recall the exact weights on the wheels - but the Tune/Stans rear weighed the same as the Hope/X517 front!!

**Update**
Tune/Stans wheels&tyres R: 1250 / F: 1160 = 2410
Hope/X517 wheels&tyres R: 1400 / F: 1260 = 2660

A 250g saving and I'll be running lighter tyres than are currently on there -
So it'll come down another 50g

Topline..? Aha! Now thats a name I had forgotten. All my cranks are Cooks, bar the Bullseyes on the Manitou, and unknown ones on the Merlin. I have long forgotten what I put on there 18 years ago. Thought recently they might be Middleburns, but now I'm sure I bought some Toplines at one point. Will have to post pic and get an answer.

Yes, you have seen the stag alright. I've had to be a bit resourceful in solving certain problems. Just love the feeling when I'm tyring, riding home high on those high antlers. D :)

Ps... Don't get too obsessed with weight loss. I did in the mid 90s, sourcing titanium washers, latex inner tubes and the like. Got my down to about 19lb if I recall right. Now its a fair bit heavier, but it rides just as well. D

It's been built as a rider - simple.
I happen to think that Stans rims (in black with silver sidewalls ala X517) with tubeless Rocket Rons (a blackwall tyre as we were mostly all running by 97) will ride better than original x517 and Smokes. They are modern - with more than a nod to retro.
Being 300g lighter - is a bonus.
No latex tubes - no tubes fullstop :)

Back