About to be a dad (ulp)... any tips?

secret_squirrel":1rlscqe0 said:
rosstheboss":1rlscqe0 said:
Health visitors are the people who have the responsibility to flag up potential neglect or abuse of children, I'd take my job seriously if I had to do that too.

Frankly that's a tiny part of their job and plenty of other professions manage have that same responsibilty without coming across as the SS.

With a couple of exceptions I didn't value the health visitors at all - YMMV.

You have to understand though that they are sometimes the only guidance that some families receive. As I mentioned before my wife works as a family outreach worker and, between visits to families, organizes groups and events at the centre to help young or hard to reach families bring their kids up. Sometimes the parents may have had no guidance themselves (absent mother, father or both) and may not be willing or able to get any, this is where the health visitors role is important, if you found them unnecessary then thankfully you have had a better upbringing than some. They also play an important role in spotting things like post natal depression as well as things like how safe the home is for a growing child. There are quite a few things that may not occur to a new parent that the health visitor could advise on.

rosstheboss":3drni2el said:
Health visitors are the people who have the responsibility to flag up potential neglect or abuse of children, I'd take my job seriously if I had to do that too.

I despise the interference of the state where it isn't wanted which is what they all too often represent - as far as I found they are mostly a complete waste of space, unwilling and unable to do anything helpful and a real stress and hassle when it's least needed.

I have zero respect for them and their ilk - anyone with any knowledge of how communist / Nazi type states operate will instantly recognise what they're all about; they're not there to help parents, they're there to observe and report.

rosstheboss":14nfyb0v said:
Good to see Godwin's Law alive and well :roll:

Yeah, whatever. Maybe you don't want to see the relevance but it's there regardless.

To the OP... when the time comes, just get rid of the parasites as quickly as possible and get on with the business of enjoying a completely new aspect of life; I'm sure you will soon discover you have a better feel for what's right and healthy for your baby than any of the so-called professionals ever will!

Haven't read through so if this has been said already sorry.

If you drink start cutting down now. If you smoke get help now to quit. No matter how young and fit you are babies take it out of you, so try to get into the best shape you can.

Life won't be the same again (in a good way!)

My eldest has a giant xyc jr, and my younger one will be getting a frog bike (most likely) in the near future - I gained 2 riding buddies!

The big thing about having kids is getting to experience things "for the first time" again - mine like museums and art gallery's and the like! Used to take ours when they were babies - apparently they take a lot in, even as a very small baby

I found that Health Visitors are a lot like unicorns. You hear rumours of their existence but never really see one.

I repeat, just enjoy it. Some good advise here, but above all else, enjoy every stage of your children or, what's the point?

Start buying nappies and baby wipes now if you see them on offer. My first born is due December and we have a loft full after receiving this advice.

Equipment wise.... We got a posh pram/car seat, baby monitor and some other bits second hand from a friend of my girlfriend for a very reasonable price, a Moses basket and cloths from my sister and I got a changing bag from my mate. I bought our lass a posh changing bag that she wanted for her birthday.

Basically, start getting stuff now while you have some spare cash!! :shock:

Iwasgoodonce":1o9fh7yc said:
I found that Health Visitors are a lot like unicorns. You hear rumours of their existence but never really see one.

True, you see them a couple of times in the first few weeks then they sign you off and you never see them again.

Kerplunk":cls8xxgc said:
Iwasgoodonce":cls8xxgc said:

True, you see them a couple of times in the first few weeks then they sign you off and you never see them again.

Until the two year check - which to be fair they don't hassle you about if you miss it.

Back