1997/98 Trek OCLV 9900 Pro Issue (VW Team)

Hi Denso

Your project sounds great, the color makes me happy, just remember to get an extra layer off clear coating on the frame, just gives the extra glow and dept in the sun :)

Funny you have chosen to put modern parts on and with some "retro" feeling over it...I have done the same since this tread where made and love it in the forest on a nice single track and ups and downs.

All the old parts have been cleaned and packed nicely so they are ready to be used when the bike get its final pension and is converted to a nice piece of art on the wall.

Can say the bike handles like a dream, swift, precise, responsive, comfortable actually I prefer it over my new bikes, 650b (great to), 29er, a fully and some prototypes, they are all great in the right conditions but the Trek gives me a little more smile on (nostalgic maybe who knows ;-) ).

You can see some pictures here http://peecee.dk/upload/view/422204 and to get to the next picture just press on "næste" and if you want to see full size press on "Vis det originale billede" (big screen is necessary).

Pictures will be updated again since I have made a little changes since these where taken but it´s only some small changes, I just have to remember the camera next time the bike ends in the forest (probably on Thursday) :)

Spec on the bike as it actually is now:

Frame:
Trek 9900 OCLV Pro Team Edt. 1998 (Oclv Carbon) 17".

Fork:
DT Swiss XCR 100RL 2010/2011, remote lock, 100mm travel, 1 1/8". I have tuned it in with an other weight oil and amount of oil ( crazy smooth).

Headset:
TUNE BOBO 1 1/8" (low, light and ******* smooth, funny its okay to write whore but "fu c k ing" is censored :facepalm: ).

Brakes:
Levers: MachineTech ZeroFlex V . (love the looks and works great).

Rear brake: MachineTech ZeroFlex V-Brake with Swissstop Ceramic brake pads (perfect on a ceramic rim and hey they match the frame color :LOL: ).

Front brake: Avid BB7 so I could keep the beautiful levers on both sides, disc 160mm, brake pads Swissstop organic.

Cables: GoreRide On sealed, no compromise there and the stiffness and smooth liner makes the BB7 feel like a great hydraulic system.

Tires:
Schwalbe Rocket Ron Evolution, 2.25 front and 2.10 rear.

Wheels:
Front: DT Swiss 190 Ceramic CenterLock hub, 28H, rim DT Swiss XCR 330Carbon.

Rear: DT Swiss 190Ceramic CL hub, 32H, rim DT Swiss XR 445 Ceramic (best solution V-Brake you know).

Both wheels are build with DT Revolution 1.8mm spokes and nipples are DT Swiss Pro Lock Hexagonal Aluminium.

Both hubs have DT Swiss BoltThru axles.

Wheels have a tubeless setup with Stans rimstrip and latex.

The wheels are build by my self, you know what you have and what you get ;-)

Drivetrain:
Shifters: Shimano SL-M780 2x10sp..

Front derailleur: Shimano XTR FD-M985 E-Type2 .

Rear derailleur: Shimano XTR RD-M985 Shadow Plus.

Cassette: Shimano XT 10-speed CS-M771 11-36.

Chain: Shimano XTR CN M980 10-speed 116 Links.

Cables: GoreRide On sealed.

Chainset: Race Face Turbine 26-38T (2013 model) Bad Ass Black.

Bottom Bracket: Race Face Turbine X-Type 68/73mm.

Controls/post:
Handlebar: Race Face NEXT SL (OS) 1/4" Rise 625mm. (upgraded to Race Face NEXT SL 1/4" Rise 720mm)

Stem: Race Face Turbine 80mm (OS). 1 1/8".

Grips: Fi'zi:k X-Country Lock-On (surprisingly good and the looks is fine to).

Saddle: SDG Formula FXR TI.

Seatpost: Race Face Turbine 400mm 27.2mm Bad Ass Black. (Upgraded to Race Face NEXT SL 400mm 27,2mm, comfy)

Weight on the bike is very nice and light enough for even a weenie also function is more important then any other factor in my world so nobody are allowed to work on my bikes and only one to blame if its not optimal for my riding style and use :LOL: .

I´m looking forward to see your pictures and info, the old style and the upcoming style you have in works hehe I have no problem with Ringle great quality, the only reason I name it is that here in Denmark it got almost as common as Kaloy and always in purple (to be honest love the color but not when the bike is floated with it and ends with a look as a whorehouse, overdoing it kills everything... okay I´m a grumpy old man but have no problem with a whore if shes put right together :p )

Cheers Mate.

Teasers:
P1000384_big_thumb.JPG

P1000379_big_thumb.JPG

Have made some upgrades on my old Trek, they are not new but forgot to post them in this tread.

I could have used the old original parts but I just enjoy riding that old Trek so upgrades where nessesary and matching decals make it look more finished :)

When the bike will go on pension the original parts will return on it, for now pleasure is most important, better pitures will come when I remember to get my camera with me on a trip in the nature :)

Some pictures of the new decals and upgrades on page 2

Custom Decals are made by http://www.bkstickers.com

Does anyone know where to get the original rock shox sid in purple? As delivered on the 9900 yellow/purple of 1998.

Best Regards!

Have made some upgrades on my old Trek, they are not new but forgot to post them in this tread.

I could have used the old original parts but I just enjoy riding that old Trek so upgrades where nessesary and matching decals make it look more finished :)

When the bike will go on pension the original parts will return on it, for now pleasure is most important, better pitures will come when I remember to get my camera with me on a trip in the nature :)

All decals are custom made after my measures and wishes, made by http://www.bkstickers.com

P1000965_big_thumb.JPG
P1000968_big_thumb.JPG
P10009971_big_thumb.JPG
P1000975_big_thumb.JPG
P1000988_big_thumb.JPG
P1000990_big_thumb.JPG
P1000992_big_thumb.JPG
P1000993_big_thumb.JPG
P1000994_big_thumb.JPG
P1000995_big_thumb.JPG
P1000998_big_thumb.JPG
P1000999_big_thumb.JPG

Nice one! Looks good :D
Mine is still not ready.. but i decided to make him completely original. So meanwhile ive collected the original parts.

Btw thanks for the link!
The decals i need are the small red striping ( you have them in black).
The other decals are finished already and looking great. Done by Gil at retrodecal.

Btw just read your post again all over.. must say you have a great post here with a nice touch of humor! I like that mate.

I was busy with other projects lately so my 9900 had to wait a little. Nowadays i use my 96 GT Zaskar LE in the forests. This one is extremely stiff and strong for every singletrack. The 9900 will be used on light singletracks and cross country. Gotta be nice to im and the original parts of course. The m950 group and icon parts look great on it. The grey antracite colour matches the yellow/purple awesome. Now, this is a good time to start again to finish my 9900. Thanks mate for the reminder

Latest posts

Back