what is it, cant find anything!

Hmmmm

There are numerous on-shops which will provide whatever you can afford. What you need to know before you buy is the width of the hub and the spoke hole count. The width is measured by the distance within the lock nuts - so it should be either 120mm, 126mm or 130mm. (check Sheldon Brown's site - look for OLD OLN size and you will see what is required - it is explained there better than i can!) These details are required to buy new ones. Once you have these, i would suggest posting in the Wanted Section here and see if anyone has a set - usually the cheapest option and you have some idea of who you are buying from - there is a feedback thread which refers to sellers and buyers.

I hope that is of some use,

Richard

I think if you're going for new hubs and spokes you might as well get a whole new wheel. Steel rims are heavy and you can't brake much in the rain.

Are they 27 inch? I think bankrupt on ebay has a set of double walled alloy rim wheels going cheap.

I've had look on there and can't see anything 27''. do you have a link?

the rims are chrome and I've just brought them up pretty nice (with a lot of elbow grease and foil!!) they are schurmann super....not sure if they are any good???
I'm not too bothered about having amazing quality gear as it won't be doing mega miles so the hubs don't need to be extra special.

cheers

If it has chrome rims then it's a deathtrap. In the dry braking is mediocre; in the wet you are better off having an anvil on a rope and throwing it onto the ground as a brake.

Aluminium wheel rims work better and are lighter, making the handling nicer too. New wheel time.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
For example -

Wheels on RB - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=272382

A hub on RB - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=266679

Research what you want and what is good and what suits your build and decide what you plan to do with the bike then decide. The process invloves a lot of thinking before a decision. Speaking from experience (and i do not have much) if you jump in you will buy the wrong thing.

As per my previous - decide what you want and post in the Wanted section here and see what appears. If you are in a rush to complete the build you risk buying the wrong wheelset or hub or rim.

This post is grammatically very poor but i have a severe case of flu and that is my excuse, apologies.

Richard

that's great thanks for all of your pointers. the 27" chrome look wheels look ideal. Beyer than learning how to build a wheel!

given your advice Richard, I think it's best to go for a pre built wheels instead of choosing the wrong thing.

thanks again

Back