PDM Concorde Aquila

Maiden flight of the Concorde :D ...

9627224773_bceeac06a6_c.jpg

9630457034_1346d8b0cd_c.jpg

Embarrassingly this is the first time I've been out on the road in anger. For some reason I didn't want to ride the bike till I got it just right, a looong and half hearted search for a Campag post stalled any progress till one popped through my door the other day :D . I've still a few things to do like retape the bars and fit lever hoods and I'd forgotten all about the crank caps. I did fit the post and at the same time the white rolls ( I reckon I'll swap it for a black turbo though) I also swapped the tyres for some 25mm GP4 seasons, a really nice tyre, I thought the dark gumwall would look a bit period but its not exactly convincing. The search goes on for a nice open tub and some latex tubes.

I fair enjoyed myself, its set up on the comfier side and the intention was always to enjoy riding the bike rather than chasing PR's or those annoying mountain bikers who try to overtake you :twisted: ... and its working. Today wasn't the nicest and a Friday afternoon is no time around here to be on the road but I still had a big grin. I'll concede my memory of friction shifting had faded but it came back with a crunch and a clatter, being in the right gear may take some time but ballpark is fine for now.

Fair play for getting 'oot an aboot'.

I've been out a few times on my Astore over the summer, including a very enjoyable 25 miles (1300ft climbing) with The History Man up in Gloucestershire, which included a sneaky ride up Prescott Hillclimb. I really appreciate the give that Aelle R tubing has, as the rougher country lanes are a lot less jarring than on my 853 Raleigh.

You need to get some more road miles in before the end of September, as my grandmother always said that the first gales always came in September, mind, she was on Mull, so possibly a little more exposed to the weather than where you are.

nice....the exquisite club of the 'race number hanger !'
and the rolls buffalo does for once blend in with the decor :p

Lovely I could look at PDM concordes all day, :cool: I prefer the later paint scheme, like on the bikes on this thread (1990 - 1992),
funny none of the reproduction decals are available for this later paint scheme.

Pat

Hello, some beautiful bikes..... This is my Concorde frame, it has made its way around the country and was once listed on this very forum. Trying to find information on it has been very hard. At the moment is it built for road duties, but i have a Record pista tub wheelset, Cinelli pista bars and stem ready for a ride at Herne Hill velodrome at some point.

It was once raced by Belgian pro rider Pedro Plancke in the 1980's /90's. it has diamond cutouts in the lugs. Has "degrave" written on the toptube, but that's about it on the info front. i would love to be able to find out more about the rider, and who built it? maybe Ciocc? maybe SLX? how can i find this information out?

Nice bike.

I'll have a quick stab with a couple of answers.

As far as I know, all Concorde frames were made in Italy, but not all by Ciocc. It seems to be generally accepted that the Ciocc frames have the Italian flag emblem on the drive side of the top tube, although I have never seen this confirmed. With a bit of luck, one of the other forum members will be able to remember the names of the other frame builders that Concorde used.

To find out if your frame is SLX, you will need to take the seat post, or better still the bottom bracket out. SLX tubing has rifled grooves on the inside of the tubes. I can't remember if the seat tube is rifled (I think it is) but the down tube definitely is. You may have to use your finger to feel for the grooves, but if you find them then it should indicate SLX or TSX tubing.

Again, other know more about this than I do, but that's what I have picked up since doing research on my Astore and other Concorde's.

Back