8 speed on 9/10 speed hubs

Daddy-Cool

Dirt Disciple
Can anyone tell me if it possible to use a Campag 8 speed cassete on a 9/10 speed hub.
I am going to buy some new wheels and fancy some new Campagnolo Scirocco wheels they come built on campag 9 speed hubs.
At the moment i am using 8 speed record thriugh out with ergo levers.

different spline pattern
you may be able to use the 9 speed cogs and your 8 speed spacers to make up a cassette

Daddy-Cool":1gmb9woq said:
Can anyone tell me if it possible to use a Campag 8 speed cassete on a 9/10 speed hub.

9 speed Mirage/Veloce-level cassette. If you want 12-21 buy a 12-23 and so on.

8 speed spacers

Top sprocket will need an extra thin spacer. You can use the one that you used to have to put behind the cassette when using 11T sprockets. Can't remember the part number. They are fairly easy to find-

DO NOT use 8 speed cassette on modern alloy freehub bodies. You will rip the splines to pieces.

sorry to butt in - vice versa?

I have a Campag Shamal 8 spd wheel - can I put a 9spd cassette on it?

ta.

I don't think you can - my lbs said the spline pattern is different - thats why I had to take out one of the 9 speeds to make an 8.

Cheers

Yes, but you need to fit a new spline body as the splines are deeper. But they are available as spares.

Campag will tell you it will not work and the mech will hit the spokes

I did it with 10 speed - it worked and no spoke hitting

Right then just about to order my new wheels have i got this right !

When ordering new wheels i also order a new block to go on new wheels i normally ride a 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21.

So i need to order a 13-14-15-16-17-18-19-21-23 block.

Then take both blocks off refit new block on with old 8 speed spacers on to new wheels.

and this will work ok

Latest posts

Back