Banana Railegh bike cassette and chain

dean90

Retro Newbie
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the world of bikes so please excuse my ignorance! I have a 1980s banana railegh bike without the rear wheel. I have a new wheel and I have just ordered a new 700 x 25 tyre. I now have to buy a cassette and chain but I'm clueless as to what exactly I have to look for.. I know the bike had a 6 speed cassette before but is it ok if I buy a 7 speed one instead? Thanks for the help!

Should be alright, just make sure you're clear on the difference between a cassette and a freewheel.

Once you've got it all on, you'll need to fiddle with the limit screws on the rear mech.

You may need to fit a spacer on the freehub as most modern wheels are designed for 8/9/10 Speed cassettes. Also have you actually tried to fit the wheel in the bike as most 80s frame would have been designed for 126mm wide hubs whereas most modern wheels will be at least 130mm wide.

Firstly I'd concentrate on the wheel you have :)

It's likely you need a wheel that takes a freewheel (called a block in our day) so the hub should have threads on one side...........

Shaun

Back