Ribble Reynolds 653 Restoration

wanit.co.uk has ribble decals. No statements about quality though.

I dont like the stock decal design. I'm idly considering designing my own and getting Gil to print them

Cracked on with the build over the weekend...

I hadRibble decals reproduced by Wanit.co.uk however they were too dark agaisnt the green frame so I removed them :(

Couple of pics:

How she stands currently:

Is it purely coincidental that the seat tube is the same rake as the back of the garden chair.

Coming along nicely.

looks like good old British Racing Green, Rolls saddle. Like you, my 653 is in fixed gear mode, Mavic MA40 rim, Shimano 600 hub, Concor Light saddle, Cinelli Giro d'Italia bars. The horizontal rear drop outs on these old frames make chain tension a lot easier to get right. I tried once to convert a more recent frame but vertical drop outs were a nightmare; I tried various combinations of front chain ring and rear sprocket, half links on the chain etc. but never really got it right.

This is coming along very nicely. Decals in gold or bronze might be just the ticket. Keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing this finished :)

Nearly there now!

Popped the chain on over the weekend, it's nice and tensioned now however it may stretch a tad so I may have to fit a halflink.

I've decided that when in commuter mode I will need a freewheel as traffic in the centre of Oxford is terrible in rush hour. I have a pair of Campagnolo Mirage brakes - front is fitted, rear needs a new cable clamp & bolt as I've lost these.

I was lost over which levers to use, I really like the shape of the 3T drops so I put on a pair of bar end levers that I had - they're a bit modern - and carbon however they're quite subtle and safety is paramount so you can't be too fussy about brakes!

Took her for a spin yesterday in fixed mode, lovely and light, headset needed some adjustment but I've done that now. Next is to fit rear brake and procure some handlebar tape:

Coffee stop:

Back