The wife, the bat and the kitchen - ANOTHER ONE!!

You may wish to check out this link on Wikipedia about bats:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bat

These paragraphs in particular should be a concern:

"Their high mobility, broad distribution, and social behaviour (communal roosting and fission-fusion social structure) make bats favourable hosts and vectors of disease. Many species also appear to have a high tolerance for harbouring pathogens and often do not develop disease while infected."

"In the United States, bats typically constitute around a quarter of reported cases of rabies in wild animals. However, their bites account for the vast majority of cases of rabies in humans. Of the 36 cases of domestically-acquired rabies recorded in the country in 1995–2010, two were caused by dog bites and four patients were infected by receiving transplants from an organ donor who had previously died of rabies. All other cases were caused by bat bites."

"Due to the risk of rabies, and to health problems related to their faecal droppings in some regions, bats should be excluded from inhabited parts of houses. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provide fullly detailed information on all aspects of bat management in North America, including how to capture a bat, what to do in case of exposure, and how to bat-proof a house humanely. In certain countries, such as the United Kingdom, it is illegal to handle bats without a license and advice should be sought from an expert organisation such as the Bat Conservation Trust if a trapped or injured bat is found."

Sure, bats are cute little critters, but disease-wise, they're basically mice with wings. I wouldn't think you would want them anywhere near your house. It might not be so bad if bats and mice would just clean up after themselves, but sadly that's not the case. They don't give it a second thought about where they create a mess.

On a more humorous note, allow me to recommend someone to help you get them out of the house. :LOL:

Attachments

• Batman.jpg
    Batman.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 220
Anything that flies at speed in close quarters with objects, relying solely on sonar can live with me, I think they're amazing & fully deserve their protected status, even if they are flying mice.

gtRTSdh":34vkw0ip said:
Anything that flies at speed in close quarters with objects, relying solely on sonar can live with me, I think they're amazing & fully deserve their protected status, even if they are flying mice.
The History Man":34vkw0ip said:
I quite like mice.
I didn't say that bats weren't amazing flying creatures, and I didn't say I didn't like mice. I agree they're both cute little buggers, and they are simply going about their lives with no intentional ill-will towards humans, but unless you can train them to use the cat litter box, and unless you clean the litter box out on a regular basis, then there exists the potential for some fairly wicked diseases:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

Then, of course, there's also the distinct possibility that your cat might take issue with a mouse using his litter box, so you'd have to get them both to accept one another. ;)

So that's two extra responsibilities that you'd have to take on on a daily basis if you wanted to live in harmony with rodents. Can you see yourself coming home from a hard day's work, cleaning out the cat litter box, and then giving little Mittens the Cat a stern look and asking her where little Bob the Mouse and Sam the Bat are, and then her answering 'I don't know' in a muffled voice through a mouthful of mouse as she picks her teeth with a batwing bone? :LOL:

My_Teenage_Self":fovwgdo7 said:
Hehe... If you want one of these... Why not buy some exotic beetle grubs? I've raised a few. http://www.rhinobeetle.co.uk/

There are some truly terrifying creatures on that site! I've always liked beetles, they're often really stunning colours... but I'm not sure I'd be completely comfortable with one that's the size of my hand!

Back