1986 Custom Ibis rebuild

Pancho

Retro Newbie
Hello fellow retro bike freaks!

I'm about to commence on a vintage Ibis rebuild and thought I'd share some before pics and post more as I progress. Some history: I'm the original owner of the this custom Ibis (no. 360). I reached out to Mr. Nicol from Ibis and he was extremely friendly and even recalled building my bike before going on a trip to Europe with his wife... he said, based on his records, my bike is a late 1986 to early 1987 build.

The bike is still original in every way, the only thing that has been replaced over the years was the rear wheel and hub. I'm going to try and keep it as original as I can... the biggest change will be stripping the frame and applying a new powder-coat and decals. I'm thinking of going with a metallic flake purple color... a color one of my buddies had on his Ibis back in the day.

I'm attaching some pictures for your viewing pleasure. Please leave any feedback or suggestions that may help with bringing this pretty lady back to her youthful glory!

Cheers!

1987_Ibis%2520%252811%2529.JPG

1987_Ibis%2520%25283%2529.JPG

1987_Ibis%2520%252813%2529.JPG

1987_Ibis%2520%25285%2529.JPG

Welcome to the forum and what a superb bike :D Does it really need to be repainted?

Sweet. I need one of these for the collection. If you must, at least avoid the powder. Hold out a while and get proper paint.

Ductape":3gdzb21q said:
Sweet. I need one of these for the collection. If you must, at least avoid the powder. Hold out a while and get proper paint.

What do you mean by "proper paint"? I was under the impression that most were powder coat jobs.

raidan73":2hi4xd7f said:
Welcome to the forum and what a superb bike :D Does it really need to be repainted?

Thanks, Raidan! I think I have no choice but to paint it... there is a lot of surface rust and I'd like to stop it in it's tracks. Now's I'm just confused on weather or not to powder coat or spray...

Back