Newbie and My bike

Looks like you are correct Thwang-666, shows how old school I am, I'd never heard of 700c or 29er, thanks for enlightening me. Not only retro bike but retro rider here :)

New forks fitted. But will be refitted with new headset when it arrives.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 402
Just trying to get it roadworthy for now. Might go for a total respray in the spring. The whole bike is very chipped and scraped.

All working and in daily use again.
Single speed conversion done, 42t and 18t
Just enjoying sing the bike again at the moment, might put some semi road tyres on it as I'm only going offroad on the odd occasion.
Still need a decent rear shock. But mine is ok until I find one.

Another update.

Thanks to Kult Friction on the forum I now have a nice pair of Mavic wheels and XT brakes all round. I've also fitted a pair of Specialized Ground Control 26x2.1 tyres.
Looking forward to getting it dirty at the weekend.

Pics to follow.

I believe the bike is a 1998 Ground Control FSR,not a 99 Stumpjumper:
http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... nuSHeIx1LA

Although it looks good with those forks, they are far longer than the frame was designed for. I feel sure you would find that it would handle much better with a 70 or 80mm single crown fork. I wouldn't bother with trying to resuscitate the old Manitou, it isn't worth it. I think somebody was trying to sell a Marzocchi Superfly on here - if in good working order, that would be a great upgrade for your frame.
[The Superfly is an air fork, so no worries about solidified elastomers etc!]

Back