vintage tyres and degrading rubber - your thoughts?

cce":1ebcwl3q said:
legrandefromage":1ebcwl3q said:
Saw loads of Charge splashbacks being used at the recent Peaks meet and heard lots of people saying how shite they were...

They're a fast rolling tyre for dry/hard conditions.

Not very common conditions in most parts of the UK.

konahed":3nix1ndq said:
cce":3nix1ndq said:
legrandefromage":3nix1ndq said:
Saw loads of Charge splashbacks being used at the recent Peaks meet and heard lots of people saying how shite they were...

They're a fast rolling tyre for dry/hard conditions.

Not very common conditions in most parts of the UK.

Which just goes to show the foolishness of buying tyres for their cosmetics.

Everyone has their own opinion but for me, vintage tires for the photo shoot and display, Something else for the ride. I came to this conclusion after trashing a few vintage tires from the early 80's. Lucky every time, I have no desire to have a front flat while pusing the envelope. Plus old era correct rubber is expensive and hard to find.

I check my tyres regularly to make sure the rubber is still nice and flexible and the sidewalls aren't perishing. Usually my tyres are worn before they get too old, but I had one that tore itself apart in a high-speed corner.

Ever since that day, I will not go near the limit on any tyres that are over 5 years old or that I haven't owned from new. Rubber (or should I say "flexible plastic") has a limited lifespan and becomes unreliable eventually.
The way I see it you have 2 options : either ride safely on modern tyres or crash the bike with potentially lethal consequences because the retro tyres let go just when you need them most.

Ive got to say I love my Splashbacks so far, lean them over far enough and the knobbles on the edge bite hard and up to that point its great fun sliding the bike around, I'm sure my opinion will change come winter but so far so good.

My wife and I have recently gotten back into biking, resurrecting our mid-'90's vintage Specialized bikes for the task.

Both bikes have spent the last dozen years stored in our unfinished basement. It's never too cold or hot down there, there's no UV to speak of, and moisture is in the normal "basement" range.

After our first couple of rides, I replaced the Team Master on the rear of my stumpy. It was shedding side knobs at an alarming rate. The Team Control on front has suffered a few torn side knobs, but is holding up. It'll be replaced in the spring.

My wife's Hardrock AX was virtually new off the store floor, maybe 300km on it its entire life. It had the stock Hardrock'r tires on it. They've shed no lugs, but show degradation of the skinwall portion of the casing. It hasn't bulged or split in any way, but the natural rubber covering the cords is dryrotting. The tread has worn quickly, the rear I replaced last week after about 400kms this summer, the front will be replaced next year.

I'll say again, these tires were stored in a relatively protected location. They're not up to real use.

J

I don't see a problem using vintage tyres as long as the they are in good condition.

And yes, you still can find some of them.

In fact I do have used three pairs of vintage tyres regularly through the last 4 years in all conditions without any problem.

I bought a pair of Wildgrippers recently the front was already damaged with a split in the sidewall (as advertised), but the rear was good and looked and felt decent. Sadly I realised that after approx 150 miles of use it too has a sidewall split. Disappointing, but not unexpected.

I don't build bikes for photoshoots/the garage so I'm doubt I'll bother with a similar period replacement.

It must really depend on the materials used too as I'm running 10 year old IRC that I bought new, 23 year old Wolber amberwalls and also ran a pair of Wolber blackwalls that were all absolutely fine with no splits - Yet I have a NOS Tioga Factory XC and its cracked all over even though it was never fitted...

Back