Youngs, Roberts, Witcomb,

roadking":11f84nlc said:
Excel":11f84nlc said:
Woolwich SE London was Harry Perry (still going)

As far as I'm aware, trading now as Perry Cycles. They never built frames, therefore not on my list - although I knew the shop and the owner in the 80s when it was trading as Harry Perry Cycles.

Roadking.

....indeed they did build their own frames inhouse from the early 1920's for about 50 years (their early brand name was Excel) then when frame builder Harry Perry died in 1973 Paul & Kath Mepham took over ownership and continued to supply handbuilt frames with the top of the range frames built by Bill Philbrook,

Leader Cycles, Croydon built by Ted Woodhall. Ted built frames for the trade as well as under his own name and built the frames used by the Hercules Independent team both pre and post war.

Would I be right to add Geoffrey Butler to my own list?

My uncle thought he had one, turned out to be a Claud though :LOL:

roadking":pj3hj3ei said:
it is stretching it a bit to refer to Emperor Sport as a SE London builder, like you wouldn't consider Pearson as SE London either.

Sarf of the river innit?

That's as far as I know :oops:

Excel":2amryp8w said:
roadking":2amryp8w said:
Excel":2amryp8w said:
Woolwich SE London was Harry Perry (still going)

As far as I'm aware, trading now as Perry Cycles. They never built frames, therefore not on my list - although I knew the shop and the owner in the 80s when it was trading as Harry Perry Cycles.

Roadking.

....indeed they did build their own frames inhouse from the early 1920's for about 50 years (their early brand name was Excel) then when frame builder Harry Perry died in 1973 Paul & Kath Mepham took over ownership and continued to supply handbuilt frames with the top of the range frames built by Bill Philbrook,

I am aware of the history. The point I made (and it is still correct) is that Harry Perry Cycles did not make their own frames.

I used to go in this shop regularly in the 80s.

Roadking.

grubb1937":ep12tmjp said:
Leader Cycles, Croydon built by Ted Woodhall. Ted built frames for the trade as well as under his own name and built the frames used by the Hercules Independent team both pre and post war.

Did not include Leader Cycles as they weren't building in this period.

Roadking.

Old Ned":1mnq1hx6 said:
roadking":1mnq1hx6 said:
it is stretching it a bit to refer to Emperor Sport as a SE London builder, like you wouldn't consider Pearson as SE London either.

Sarf of the river innit?

That's as far as I know :oops:

Worthing is south of the river, you wouldn't call John Spooner a South East London builder now would you?

Maybe you would; and all Londoners are Cockney's eh!

Yorkshire troublemaker :D

Rk.

Definitive list of South London builders?

Perhaps a definitive list of South London builders is required?

Happy to begin...suggest post war (that;s WW2 guys).

Rk.

Back