Old 105 33t chainring.

Thanks for the help lads,I know next to nothing about road gear as Im a mtber.The bike in question is a lovely old 531C Raleigh,I`ve put an 8 speed XT cassette/ rear shifter and XTR rear mech(not to mention an Atac stem,Diacompe levers and Zoom flat bar!)I think I might just stick on a 46 outer,if I stick on a triple crank I may have BB and front mech probs?

You shouldn't have problems if you just use two rings on the triple chainset. Or you could always get a road compact chainset - exactly the same as a road double, but allows a small ring of 34t. If you've already changed the cassette and still need lower gears, then that's the next thing

66 triumph daytona":3n3g5xyd said:
Its a band on.Im going to go for the grannyless mtb crank option.

That's what's on my partner's tourer/'cross bike, it's running 36/46t with an 11-34 cassette and short cage XT rear mech - gives a huge range over 18 speeds with option of sticking a little 26t granny on it if she's ever climbing something scarily steep (though that would mean fitting a longer cage rear mech too).

Dead Rats":2k61r504 said:
66 triumph daytona":2k61r504 said:

That's what's on my partner's tourer/'cross bike, it's running 36/46t with an 11-34 cassette and short cage XT rear mech - gives a huge range over 18 speeds with option of sticking a little 26t granny on it if she's ever climbing something scarily steep (though that would mean fitting a longer cage rear mech too).
Thats the plan,I have a long cage xtr on the back so Im covered should I want to stick on the granny.Is the 105 front mech ok for triple chainsets?

66 triumph daytona":20mt0avh said:
Dead Rats":20mt0avh said:
66 triumph daytona":20mt0avh said:

Thats the plan,I have a long cage xte on the back so Im covered should I want to stick on the granny.Is the 105 front mech ok for triple chainsets?

ah good point, a triple specific road FM would be better if you're using road STIs

Ran into a problem.I installed an STX crank and removed the granny thinking the 105 mech will shift across the middle and outer,it wont,the outer is way too far out for the mech.Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back