the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty! pics on P5

Re: the riser bar conundrum? the riser bar nasty!

konatime":1sobf6te said:
Any long low stem flat bar members doing 60 mile a week (thru)?

Depends which bike I'm riding, but when I'm using the Butler, Zaskar, Specialized or singlespeed then yes, about 70.

kingoffootball":f2xsy0n8 said:
konatime":f2xsy0n8 said:
Any long low stem flat bar members doing 60 mile a week (thru)?

Depends which bike I'm riding, but when I'm using the Butler, Zaskar, Specialized or singlespeed then yes, about 70.

Thanks for posting fella, i was begining to think the level of riding was worse than i imagined.

How is the set-up when doing 70 in one hit?

Ah, that's not doing 70 miles in one ride. The longest rides I tend to manage to fit in are 20-30 miles, but that's always with that setup and I can't remember ever aching at the end.

See what you mean fella, yeah i could go low set-up for 20/30mile without any aches....just means i would'nt be doing much unless i went out everyday.

Would it be correct in thinking the set-up evolved specifically for that distance with races back in the day being round the 30 mile mark.

ok then, here's the conversion pics.

then stem removed was 5 degree by 120 although i thought it was 0 degree. so the stem on now is 0 degree by 110, had a quick spin and it feels ok, a proper ride will tell with time.

and before anyone points it out, yes i know it's a 31.8 stem with a shimmed 25.4 bar, i already had the bar and the stem was a 2nd hand bargain, i wanted keep the same thomson look as before.

so what do you think?

here's a few pics, the original build with bombers (63mm travel and flat bars), changed to 80mm rock shox sids with flats and bar ends, then to the riser bars and 10mm shorter stem.

Attachments

• bs original build.jpg
    bs original build.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 314
  • bs rs and flats.jpg
    bs rs and flats.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 314
  • bs55.jpg
    bs55.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 314
  • bs56.jpg
    bs56.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 314
  • bs57.jpg
    bs57.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 314
  • bs58.jpg
    bs58.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 314
If it had been an early 90's Fat in a classic colour I'd have said risers were a no no but as it's quite clearly a later bike, with V's etc so can get away with it. I actually think it looks better with the risers then it does with the modern flat bar.

I have now decided that risers are allowed on any bike that came originally with V's. This is now a fact.

The end.

FIN.

Agreed. It looks wonderful.

Totally fine to be purist about your bike if you that's your thing though. I was a big fan of long and low in the early 90s myself. Now I like long and little higher. Riser bars (and bar ends) work just great for me.

Bikes have always been upgraded/altered to suit the rider.

I cant see the issue, in fact, I am now tempted to take that neck destroyer flip-flop stem off the GT and replace it with something short with risers to suit.

Back